US Blanks Special Formula for Kazuma

my 2 cents.

If you’re lucky enough like Matt, you just choose an off the wall color for ID, like “PANK” guess we all should research first eh?

me suppose chartreuse glue up would be a rip on some cat in the Kwajalein’s!

Forgetaboutit.

**how delusional of me to think a glue up meant anything **

carry on ----std industry practice no doubt

i am not attacking anyone       just thought a new product might go down better beating a different drum that’s all

just an opinion in a dull and boring industry.

cheers huie

Hey Huie,

I liked that balsa/ hardwood stringered board you posted on the other thread.  Except Hobie did it back in the 1950’s.

Huie, your comments do not apply to me. I live in HAWAII. Most known shapers here order blanks with custom rockers and custom color glue up’s. US blanks will do the same for the small guys as well. I have been ordering this way for well over 25 years so in my world this is “industry standard”

Just like changing my logo colors, changing up stringer colors is cool and best of all keeps me stoked on my craft of building surfboards.

in answer to your 1st statement does not matter to me who you are or were you live or what us b do    i think you know what i meant and good on you for coming back

after all when you talk  to me or anyone else on the net.    really you are talking to a keyboard

and we all know how rough that can get   25 yrs you say.   thats less than half of the time i have been f##king around with this shit

take my advice   market the product better

finito.

cheers huie

yes well i am a bit late but i have been doing them since the early sixty’s and i don’t remember ever seeing a Hobie ?    but i must confess i might have copied midget more than once

and after saying that   YOUR POINT IS?

cheers huie

Huie,

“take my advice market the product better”

I am not here to sell blanks and I will say it again Midget makes amazing foam.

And after 25 years I am in love with shaping more than I have ever been and I am happy to share my knowledge if anyone cares.

Matt

Kazuma:  Much respect.

Huie:  Dang man get over it.  Who the fark cares what color glue he uses.  My goodness.

hey matt, great hearing you promoting the aloha spirit.  there is an experienced,underground shaper who has used all foam except the chinese and brazilian garbage.

Midget is legend yet will help even the most obscure get great blanks,  Unfortunately it costs a lot to get them here unless going container etc.

still have difficulties understanding why you need three shaping machines.  is the computer stuff that fun?  really glad the pink is not a formula rip off.  ethics are becoming so important in these modern times of limited privacy.

Huie,  thin skins around this site.  Most have no idea how it was before all the bro down shit.

hey matt, great hearing you promoting the aloha spirit.  there is an experienced,underground shaper who has used all foam except the chinese and brazilian garbage.

Midget is legend yet will help even the most obscure get great blanks,  Unfortunately it costs a lot to get them here unless going container etc.

still have difficulties understanding why you need three shaping machines.  is the computer stuff that fun?  really glad the pink is not a formula rip off.  ethics are becoming so important in these modern times of limited privacy.

Huie,  thin skins around this site.  Most have no idea how it was before all the bro down shit.

Maka, thanks for asking questions. I have done business with Midget and he has been awesome to me and his blanks were some of the best that I have ever used. Yes ethical business practices are in short supply and I certainly do not feel the need to compete with anyone. I let my product and service speak for itself.

The reason that I need 3 shaping machines? Well I don’t need 3, I need 2. My livelihood as well as my employees depends on my consistent production and machines always break or need maintenance. If I don’t keep a consistent flow then my 12 employees will not be able to pay their bills and I owe it to them to provide job security. These guys are family to me. The best thing is that my machines can do is to free up time so that I can still hand shape the way that I want to, nice and slow.

Matt

[quote=“$1”]

really glad the pink is not a formula rip off.  ethics are becoming so important in these modern times of limited privacy.

well blow me down the very question i asked?    how dare i

yes  i f you start a thread here on sways then it is open for comment   unfortunately not all are favorable

and mat has been great in his reply  no abuse just straight talk good on him  hope he continues to do well

cheers huie

Huie, after that many years in the industry I would love to learn a thing or two from you. I am always searching for something new to keep me motivated and I love to experiment with new materials (new to me) and products. Right now, EVERYSURFER is teaching me a few things about applications that I want to try out. Like I said before, I learn from the legends as well as the beginners. Well mostly from the beginners because they think outside the box and that takes me back to why I chose to become a surfboard builder. For the love of it.

Matt Kazuma Kinoshita

Solid Matt.  Does that Westside wahine still ride for you?  Now I know why all those blanks were going Maui in late nineties.  Ben must be proud.

Many factory owners I met were cut throat, bottom line ,jaded and seemingly had lost their love for building boards.  With margins what they were and all that.  Sounds like you have kept it real and care about your employees.

Standup stuff.

Maka, the Westside Hawaiian was Melanie Bartels who was and still is an amazing surfer.

Those days back in the early 90’s was a fun time for me, I was flying daily back and forth from Maui to Oahu shaping for Hawaiian Island Creations and running Kazuma here on Maui. HIC treated everyone like family and the stoke and excitement that the owners brought to the company was amazing. It is that stoke that I am constantly working towards and when things start to get stale I just do something different. Today I am in the glass shop working on hotcoats with one of my lamimators and I can’t tell you how much fun I am having. Mixing it up and striving to do the best work that I can do is what keeps my interest.

I am here on this forum because I see that same stoke in many of you here on swaylocks and I want to be a part of that. I have met a bunch of cool board builders on swaylocks, backyard or not that have some amazing ideas. Out of the box thinking is a good thing and it is that stoke that drives new innovations.

Matt Kazuma Kinoshita

Hey Matt a big belated welcome to swaylocks - is your product available thru fiberglass Hawaii in ventura?

Thanks for the welcome Huck, I do not believe that fgh Ventura would have them as I have to pre order in bulk to get them to make them and they ship the containers straight to Maui.

Matt

On the USBlanks website they explain all this color coding of blank densities.... notice no PINK foam is listed.  As already mentioned, GLUE is available in any color you want.  This is similar to the method used for years by Clark although they just printed the density 'color code' as text... I.E. "GREEN", "SUPER BLUE", or whatever.

"To provide a truly custom blank, we offer several densities from which to choose. At this time we offer every blank size in every weight, however not all weights will be stocked in all sizes. Sales will dictate what sizes are stocked in what density.

Actual pounds per cubic foot of a given weight foam will vary with blank size due to mold compaction and skin to core ratio. The comparisons listed are based on the difference in pounds of foam used to pour each density and is an average among blank sizes.

**The density of a blank will be identified by the color of the paint on the nose. (emphasis mine)**

**Densities are listed from lightest to heaviest: **

• ORANGE, approximately 12% – 13% lighter than BLUE.  Competition weight currently only available in short boards.
  • RED, approximately 6% – 7% lighter than BLUE.  Performance weight available in most sizes.
  • BLUE is considered our stock density and is the basis for comparison.
  • GREEN, approximately 9% – 10% heavier than BLUE
  • CLASSIC, approximately 30% – 32% heavier than BLUE. These blanks will be identified with a brown tipped nose.
  • TOW-IN, approximately 205% heavier than BLUE. These blanks will be identified with a black tipped nose.

http://www.usblanks.com/catalog/about-our-catalog/density-comparison/

…well, may be you stoked than ever due to you have 3 machines and all that crew doing all the work…

-like John stated there, seems a confusion between the stringer glue ups and the nose color.

-Arctics use this lemon fluo green that s really ugly.

-Maka, which s the Brazilian shit foam?

I have been using only Clark s and Arctics from N America, never had the opportunity to use Walker s. Clark s from Brazil too. Bennet foam and then Rhyno from Brazil, FJ from Brazil. Surfblanks, Burford. Dion from Argentina (Aussie chemistry); Elova foam, O side foam. Balsa wood from Ecuador and in the past a few PS foam; never used the new PS blanks by US blanks.