UV cure polyester resin and neon lights

Hi folks,
I have a question about UV cure resin and neon lights. I wanted to know if neon-based lights make dry UV resin?
I actually do the lamination inside my garage which has neon-based lights. I heard one day that these kinda of lights make UV cured. In the doubt I work in the dark. I wanted to know if it is true or not.

Aloha.

Try it out, then you know for certain:
Take out a little bit of resin with the lights off, close the container, then turn on the lights. If you place the resin close to the light and it has not set after an hour, then it’s probably OK.
I know halogen lamps produce some UV light, I have used it to cure resin.

We used to cover fluoro bulbs at work with transparent yellow tubes that would filter out most of the UV so we could use UV sensitive films in those areas. We also have a couple units that expose these films with metal halide bulbs.

If possible, please post a picture of the space and the fixtures.

Google ‘inverse square light’ to see how distance from source affects intensity of light.

I would try Mik’s test, with laminated cloth, at 1/2 and at the intended distance from light to board. If it makes it at 1/2 distance, full distance should be fine.

I’ve never had any issues.

They may pump out some uv but in my experience, nothing of any significance.

Hi guys,
Sorry for the delay. I didn’t get the occasion to test lamination under neon lights. I did my lamination on this weekend under neon lights with my UV Polyester resin. No worries, we can laminate without any issues.
Aloha.

You have mentioned “neon lights” twice.
You do mean fluorescent, yeah?
I use UV lam resin for both day and night glassing.
The stuff is worlds better than the old days of the “ticking clock” of catalyzed stuff.
I have noticed that my fluorescent lights will get the resin started, just a signal that things need to be finished, or I begin to baby sit.
For the day jobs, it is out the door.
For the night jobs, UV lights
But, still finish off the cure outdoors.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/Matty-Surfboards-586849861346690/videos/