Vee Bottoms

Progressing on from flat bottoms, could anyone give me a description on how to shape a vee ?? 

single to V on a simmons style.  Use a sanding block at about 14" up and sand the rail line to the depth on V you want.

I've only done one board with some V through the tail. Wasn't as hard as i thought, and can be done with sandpaper and a block. Draw a V on your board ( if the board is standing up, with the bottom facing you ) that starts at the rail and comes back to the stringer at an angle. Then sand from the rail back to the tail, then move in as wide as your block, and start ( from where the line from rail to stringer intersects ), heading back to the tail. Do more on the rail than the centre, so that you create the V. Try to put more pressure on the closer you get to the tail. I really hope i have explained myself here!!!!

Oh BTW, you dont need to sand much, keep checking as you go, and do even amounts of passes on both sides!

Yeah seems to make sense beerfan, in saying that does anyone use a planer or is it mostly done with sandpaper + block. 

I’ve used a hotwire on EPS without a stringer. Put masking tape down centre and along rails as a guide for the hot wire. Wouldn’t recommend that as I took too much off.

Beerfan, could you explain your technique with a bit more detail (the drawing the v part), maybe use a drawing or picture. My brain seems to be affected by resin fumes and I still don’t understand it. Do you start at the square rail and say if you want 1/8" of V, mark 1/16" on the rail and take the pencil line to the stringer drawing half a V on one side and the same on the other, therefore literally drawing a V on the bottom as a guide for sanding? At what angle would the line ideally be in reference to the stringer? What would be a good technique to avoid breaks in your rail rocker? What if you want the V to transition to flat after the fin(s), do you draw an upside down V at around where the fin would be (board standing and bottom towards you as you explained)? Stout of the day: Big Bear by Bear Republic, all ales and beer from this California brewery are great! Have a nice day!

I use a planer to shape vee.then I'll use a sanding block to smooth out the lines.

planer. 

PLaner!!

All of my favorite shortboards have V in the tail.  I use the planer to take an even amount off of each side then blend it in with a sanding block.  Usually only takes a couple of passes with the sanding block.  Not sure if this is the way the pros do it but I put any V or concave in the bottom before I start making rail bands.  Just seems to be the best way for me to get everything to blend.  Most of the boards I build have a concave going into a slight V or double concave in the tail.

I forgot to mention...I like the bottom to be flat behind the fin(s). Someone here was asking how it was done...here's my take: I will shape the vee and then fade it out through the tail by adding the desired amount of tail rocker at the stringer...this brings the stringer level up to where the rail line from v is, making it flat. Just think it through and look at both stringer rocker and rail rocker and see if it will work before you start hacking away. good luck

[quote="$1"] Beerfan, could you explain your technique with a bit more detail (the drawing the v part), maybe use a drawing or picture. My brain seems to be affected by resin fumes and I still don't understand it. Do you start at the square rail and say if you want 1/8" of V, mark 1/16" on the rail and take the pencil line to the stringer drawing half a V on one side and the same on the other, therefore literally drawing a V on the bottom as a guide for sanding? At what angle would the line ideally be in reference to the stringer? What would be a good technique to avoid breaks in your rail rocker? What if you want the V to transition to flat after the fin(s), do you draw an upside down V at around where the fin would be (board standing and bottom towards you as you explained)? Stout of the day: Big Bear by Bear Republic, all ales and beer from this California brewery are great! Have a nice day! [/quote]

Everyone else here has way more experience and skill than me mate. This is just to keep it even on both sides of the stringer. I blend the pencil line out when im finished.

American craft beers are f&cking fantastic. Here, most people think bud/coors/miller when they think of US beers, which are the same as most beers produced as a commodity, bland, tasteless and fizzy. But the craft beers are unreal, so much flavour!!.

Just a thought - retain a 2" wide flat strip at the stringer, rather than vee all the way to the stringer. It works for me.

red boards,

that is what I usually do too...more of a rolled vee.

For the best results: Use an exacto knife, rubberband, and a quart of 10W30. Finish with a small tabby cat wrapped in 80 or 100 grit. 

I’ve done vees by making what looks like a terrace of sorts along the bottom of the board on each side of the stringer. It consists of three planer cuts along the bottom that start a third of the way up, starting at zero then progressively getting deeper as u get toward the tail. The first cut is usually three passes deep, the second two and the last one one pass. When I’m done with the planer, it looks like three steps, usually the width of the planer wide, that start from the rail in toward the stringer. Once done with that, I use a surform,sweeping it perpendicular to the stringer, to cut the corners of the steps down to blend them together, creating the crown of the vee. I surform the area behind where the center fin will go to flatten the vee behind the fin. It also creates a bit more tail rocker also. I’ve found that having the deepest part of the vee somewhere near where the center fin goes works for me.