Vellum Paper

Has anyone tried vellum paper for logos? AST resin recommends this stuff over rice paper for logos for reasons given on their website. I noticed similar problems to what they mentioned when using epoxy and rice paper logos. (Paper doesn’t saturate very well.)

Actually have not heard of the stuff, but if it gives better results than rice paper im gonna look into it.

Can you use it in inkjet?laser printers?

Cheers

Quote:
Can you use it in inkjet?laser printers?

As far as I am aware.

It will definitely work with an inkjet printer, not sure about how it works with resin.

yeah…vellum, tracing paper…tried a bunch of them. The vellum tends to be a bit thick, usually, and will often not take ink well.

Go to your local art store; browse through the tracing papers. Look for one that is particularly thin, but also uniform; alot of tracing papers have fairly large spindles of cellulose; you don’t want that. Grab a couple of samples, if the store will let you, go home; try them out, then go back and buy a pad. Some tracing paper will warp on application of wet ink, which can make getting your logos flat under the lam difficult.

Good hint is to reduce the amount of ink spat out by your printer, otherwise you’ll probably get a good deal of bleeding as it comes off the toner wheel. Not an issue with a lazer printer I bet.

hth,

g

i haven’t tried velum, but maybe i will on a scrap piece with epoxy just to see what happens… i’ve stayed away though because it seems not to take ink well (as mentioned above).

my wife picked up some ‘tracing paper’ at “Micheal’s” and it works just fine for me with epoxy. the brand is canson – comes in 9x12 sheets

Quote:

my wife picked up some ‘tracing paper’ at “Micheal’s” and it works just fine for me with epoxy. the brand is canson – comes in 9x12 sheets

“Canson” is THE french tracing and drawing paper brand… No wonder it works so good… The French do everything much better than anybody else…

OK, kidding, guys…

smedman…i was at michaels for my halloween outfit and actually had that thought about tracing paper when i saw it. Can you see the paper at all when it’s been wetted out?

Thanks,

on white sealed eps i can’t see it – haven’t tried it on anything else yet… going to be doing some resin tint on the next board so i’ll let you know how that goes…

Quote:
The French do everything much better than anybody else...

Of course! I like the frog. Now when is Atua cores coming to New Zealand? Baa…

Hi Deanbo, I’m passing your suggestion on to Pierre and Stephen (both co-owners of Atua Cores.)

Glassed some vellum on a board yesterday as a test. The ink bled a little. I tried sealing it with clear coat for the deck side and that ended in a minor meltdown unrelated to the glassing process. The velum is not perfectly clear when wetted out. Inkjet paper actually goes almost as clear when wetted out. Next up, I think I’ll try some tracing paper.

Looking forward to see how you go with tracing paper, keep us posted

cheers