Vintage Gordon Smith ?????????????

Dennis definitely belongs in the shapers tree he shaped at Wilderness then on his own in carp on the country road to the barn those that had those magic boards  the flex tails the pintails,twin pintails  as he called them, round tails small squaretails,if someone has one post the pictures,broeffle at sandbar on a benadum before the crowds that was magical.thanks for the memories.

i came upon this great thread when researching serial numbers for my latest find. here’s a pic - and the number says 3750. thanks for your help!

Dad’s not in the computer world but i’ll post some pics of some old Wilderness and Sundance surfboards that Phil Novoa still has up in the rafters of his garage. I have a ridiculous 6’9" single fin he shaped for Rincon in the early seventies that has three tails. Never seen another like it. there are two channels cut from the tail that go up about 16" causing the rails to flex at the tail. Like 10 layers of glass so the rails wouldn’t snap. Bizarre.

Wow. You must be Emmanuel Blue?

How’d you find this forum, Googling your dad’s name?

That’s me! A buddy of mine posted this link on my facebook page. Its pretty rare for my dad’s name to make it into the written world of surfing. For the most part, if you weren’t there, or know someone who was there, you don’t his name. His life quest to stay invisible!

Well, he was a “model” for a Gordon and Smith ad in the July issue of Surfer Mag, 1969.

Page 1… of a 2 page ad.

Haha! That’s classic. Must have been his “pre-invisible” days. I’m sure he’ll get a kick out of that shot

Wow. Say hello to your Dad for me.

If you email me at bill@balsabill.com I’ll send you a nice large photo file of your Dad in the shot above so you can print it out.

Bill Yerkes

I’ve got a friend that probably worked with your dad. He’s got a kneeboard with the tail you described. I’ll try to get a picture of it.

Wow.  I bought a new 9’4" G&S almost identical to your 3750 in '63 or '64.   Nancy Nelson took my order.  1-1/2" balsa stringer, white glas fin.  That board was magic.  Wish I’d hung onto it.

With it:

On it:

Kieth Noll, rip,  Richard “Boscoe” Bossart , Ricky  and Tommy Ryran, Jimmy Goodwin, Phil C. RIP, “Big pink”, Skipper, and many more. Great time to be there. Got my first foam board from G&S when they were glassed in “Tugs” kitchen. I spent some hazey time living in the garage behind the Reed street house.

BalsaBill,

My boyfriend just brought an old board of his into a shop (Hertiage) for a ding repair, and was told not to ride the board.  The man behind the counter said the board he has is worth something.  Think my bf bought it for $200 in 1975 or somewhere around there.

I was just thinking, since you worked at G & S, you might be able to help give us some history on it.

It is a 6'8" and has the number 940 handwritten on it.

Attached are pictures.

Thanks,

Rebecca

Ace --------------------- You mean back their where they used to hand you your tostada plate?

I can tell you that the person in the shop is full of BS. Surfboards are made to be ridden. Even old ones. Unless a board has some historical value and it belongs in a museum, it deserves to be in salt water whenever possible. That’s what the damn things are made for.

Looking at the pics, it appears to be a generic, off-the-rack shape from the mid 70s. Nice board, but nothing special. Fix it, ride it, enjoy it.

BTW, $200 sounds a bit high for a ‘shop board’ from 1975. I was paying 140-160 for custom shapes from Tom Overlin during that period.

[quote="$1"]

Kieth Noll, rip,  Richard "Boscoe" Bossart , Ricky  and Tommy Ryran, Jimmy Goodwin, Phil C. RIP, "Big pink", Skipper, and many more. Great time to be there. Got my first foam board from G&S when they were glassed in "Tugs" kitchen. I spent some hazey time living in the garage behind the Reed street house.

[/quote]

Ace, do I know you?  Boscoe's garage was my bedroom for the summer of '69.  Keith would come down and we would hang out at his Mom's house in S Mission or over to Larry S's place. When I firsrt moved to SD, Phil let me sleep in the shop using wetsuits for a bed.  In 76 I moved to OB and was there for about 10 yrs.

Is Boscoe still around?

Mike Wonder

Kind of hard to tell from those photos. But it may be a Super Gypsy. Wide point forward and down rails (?). Which would put it around 1970 I think. They shipped one to me at the end of the Summer and I remember riding it in VB with Pete Smith as I was making my final coastal run for the season. The idea was to come out with a new model for the fall to try and get a few off season orders.

I think I got to California in September and everyone was riding twin fins (pre fish twin fins). I’m pretty sure of the date of the Super Gypsy. Whether that’s one or not it’s hard to say. The color design and logo seem about right but they were still using those into the mid seventies I believe. Things were changing really fast in that time, late sixties early seventies.

The fact that it’s a square tail makes me think early seventies. When I moved to Cocoa Beach in '73 I had a single fin swallow tail.

Bosco is still around. He lives in north county. I see him at least once a year at Keiths contest.

I lived in the garage in about 1968.

I had the natural food store next to Phil in the mid to late 70’s. Skip was shaping behind my store. Good times.

Yeah they glassed the boards where the spaghetti & rolled tacos got made.

I've got an old G&S twinny I picked up at an op shop about 10 years ago in Australia.

Was wondering if it is anything special because it has a big logo (about 3ft long) on the bottom that says G&S prototye design (same as logo below but bigger and says "prototype design" on the bottom). It's a twinny, about 5'8, has a blue fade sprayed deck, and a deck patch that seems to not have been hot coated. on the deck it's got the red, white and black rectangular logo, that apparently floyd smith used to use in Australia in Taren Point, which is in the area where I picked up the board.

The board itself has a swallow tail and single stingers besides the fins

I'll try and get a photo.

Anyone have any input? It looks like a lot of other old G&S twinny's but the "prototype design" has me intrigued that it might be an old team rider, or floyd's board.

from here: http://www.stevecoresurf.com/p/logos-decals-and-stickers.html

might be rare!

I have this G&S 10’ 4" longboard. the serial # is 9963. any info would be great