Vintage Hansen 70's?

Good customer brought this in for a “surfable” repair.
Shape caught my old fu*k#n! eye…
Pre Lopez?, BT? ,The tail is wide’r and very nice shape.
This puppy is thick!
I think the owner is gonna love it, while he enjoys the past
and grains respect for those who came before.
@ BT two dots ? FU box, my guess 71-72….

Aloha Matt,
I think 1972 is a good call. The two dots, after the numerals, is an identifier unknown to me. The size and shape, makes me believe the board was a custom order.

i would guess this board is earlier than '71-72; maybe 68-69?

The board number in the 30,000 range, and the FU box, are the telltale. In 1968/69 Hansen used an in house fin system. Don’t doubt me.

most certainly respect you Bill and never
DOUBT
You…
69 ?
Gonna go back to the fin stall…
Gerry @ the HB 69? contest…

I don’t doubt BT, he was there. I was just guessing.

It is not a sin to…
Guess.
Miki Dora 1959…

Other than the shape, this board looks exactly like the 1972 Hansen that I had.

The FU box and logo say 71-72. Lack of a leash plug means it can’t be much newer than that. The shape itself also fits that time period.
As Bill T will confirm, Buzzy Smole used to put a dot before and after the serial number.
Could this be one of Buzzy’s shapes, and he just put the dots in sequence? Was Smole still shaping Hansens around 71?
The logo is the same font that was used on the Lopez and Joe Roland models, but those designs also had their name below the Hansen lam.
The Lopez and Roland boards by Hansen were produced roughly 1969-70.

Buzzy moved to Idaho either very late 1970, or very early 1971. Knowing Buzzy well, I can’t think he would change his marking habit, after so many years of use. Sometimes, on his personal boards, he’d use an additional identifier. EXAMPLE: 12345 S That is the only deviation I’ve seen him make, over a six year period.

Thank you Bill. Always interesting background on The Who’s and Why Fors. Still got yours and one of Buzzy’s. Both good shapes. Lowel

In the winter of 1970 there was a store in downtown New York City called Job Lot Pushcart.
They specialized in closeouts. They had hundreds of Hansen surfboards (every model) for $79.
Every few weeks I would go and there would be new stock. It was the craziest thing to be
walking around the financial district and see all these guys with suits on carrying surfboards.

Were these longboards, or fairly current designs? There was a period around 1968-70 when you couldn’t give away a brand new board that was over 9 feet. I know that Ron Jon’s was a major East coast Hansen dealer around then. Maybe they unloaded their dead stock?
Hansen was in business well after 1970, so it wasn’t like someone bought them out. Which might be the case for a company that folded.

Nope. These were bout 6’6 up to a few 7’10 and I don’t remember seeing more than twenty colored boards. Most were just clear. A lot had black pin line on the cut. They were next to toasters and hand tools. It was nuts.

Sounds like maybe a dealer went bankrupt and their remaining stock was sold to a liquidator. Most likely would have been an east coast dealer since they wound up in NYC. Very odd.

Besides the shape, color, size, fin placement, and rails… It looks just like one of mine too!! This is amazing.

I don’t doubt it. I got a couple of the “in house” systems. But it does prove that Bahne/Fins Unlimited came along pretty early. I’ve got a “Phil” with a Bahne box from that time period(70–72).