Vintage Surf Ski/Paddle Board

I picked this up recently for the princely sum of $10 (including a paddle of the same vintage, and the moulded Lexan fin shown in it).

Shaped by the Victorian West Coast (Aireys Inlet) luminary Howard Hughes (not to be confused with the American business magnate of the same name of course).

Over 10’ long and 5" thick, and shaped from a stringerless blank. Has wooden inserts under the glass where the foot straps are screwed into.

Don’t think I’m game to take it out in the surf, but could be a useful thing to trundle about in some flat water if I get bored over summer.

I also found this on the side of the road a while ago too - hawaiian style minigun, 6’9” x 19”, super low rocker, beak nose, and down rails.

The deck was in pretty good shape, apart from a delamination in the tail area, which I roughly patched up. The bottom was pretty badly trashed, so I just filled the big holes with whatever I had handy, reinforced them with lamination patches, and did a “sealer” coat over the whole lot to get it watertight. The fin had a hole drilled in it for leg rope attachment as the board didn’t have a leg rope plug (too early?), so I filled that hole and added my poor attempt at a leash loop so I can get it in the water.

Anyone here have experience with surfing these designs? I’m expecting they’re probably not ideal beach break or soft point break boards.

That 6’9" looks cool. Any chance of a close up of the logo?

JOHANNA  SURFBOARDS

Correct you are Bill. 

Johanna Surfboards.

Named after the famous Victorian west coast beach break  

A shortlived label created to specifically supply a surf shop in Melbourne (Australia) called Mordy Surf Shop.

Shaped by Kym Thompson of Watercooled Surfboards fame. 

Hi RDM,

I know its been sometime since you posted this ski however would you be interested in selling it? A few friends and I collect old surf skis and would love to add this one to the collection

Cheers

Lachy

PM sent.