Vinyl Surfboard Wraps?

Hey there everyone!

I have a 9’ longboard that is faded and old. I am looking into getting it vinyl wrapped.

Does anyone know the best way to do this?

Will I need to sand the board down first for the vinyl to stick?

Also, I have found many pictures of Vinyl wrapped boards, but they all seem to be pieces of art rather than for actually surfing them. Would I be able to use a vinyl wrapped board in the sea?

Would appreciate anyone’s comments on this.

Your best bet for accurate information is to talk with the people you are buying the vinyl wrap from. 

Hi Huck,

I have been talking to them, but they’ve never wrapped a surfboard before!

I want to try it on mine because if it does work I have a couple of friends that would possibly also be interested.

Surfboard stickers are usually vinyl so in theory it should be ok.

Just I don’t know whether it’s worth wasting money on if it’s not going to work!

The vehicle wraps look good and seem to hold up pretty well, over compound curves, so I would imagine surface prep to be similar. Ding repair after its on is probably not gonna be so straightforward  tho.

Its not an option I would even consider myself, but I don’t see any reason it wouldn’t be do-able.

IIRC Gary young was using some sort of plastic wrap instead of glassing on his bamboo/foam and wood/foam composite builds.   

How much weight will the vinyl add?  Final board weight?

I’m not sure… not too bothered about weight tho cause it’s a nine foot

I don’t recall which member it was, but some years ago a sways guy was wrapping his boards.  I’m pretty sure he did it for work, too, or something.  I think about it all the time because my work is right next door to a big sign making/vehicle wrapping operation.  I doubt it would add much weight, but the inability to see dings is my biggest concern.

Yes, I do agree with you on that. Thanks to all the advice, I think I am just going to get a new board. I have found a decent custom board on Gumtree for a reasonable price. Thanks again for the comments.

The company I work for does vehicle wraps and occasionally surfboards too.  Most of the surfboards we do are for retail stores and eateries.  We’ve done menus on a number of surfboards.  The board just needs to be wax free.  Its just a big sticker.  One of our employees did a printed wrap on his HP Shortboard with the logos of his sponsors on it.  Looked good.