Volan glass strength

Hi There,

Considering glassing some twin keel fish and mini simmons boards in volan glass and wondering what glass schedule I should use?

Would a single layer of 10oz on the deck and bottom be strong on its own? Or even 7.5oz?

How does this compare to say a 6 oz bottom and 6+4 deck lamination in E glass?

Also, can anyone recommend a good volan glass supplier in Australia?

Cheers

Volan is a finish on the cloth . It is no stronger than standard e cloth. What the finish does is help accept colors better.

Hey man

2 layers will be stronger than one layer for example a 6 x 4 deck would have more strength than one layer of 10.

Surf blanks sells 7.25 and shapers has a 6oz volan.

I personally wouldn’t glass a fish with 10oz glass. A 6/6/4 would be fine or even 6/6/6. 10oz would make the board unnecessarily heavy IMO. but if you want it to be strong go for it. Volan has a great look if done right. good luck

This makes no sense. A double 6 deck is heavier than a single 10 oz. Think about it. Two layers of 6 are thicker than a single 10 and will load more resin. Better to do a 6/4 deck. Plus, two layers, whether 6/6 or 6/4 are going to be stronger than a single 10. It will also yield a higher glass to resin ratio if done correctly.

7.25 is generically called 8 oz, for all intents and purposes. Most often, if you ask for an 8 oz glass job you’re really getting 7.25 or 7.5. Just like 4 oz is really 3.6.

Hey Sammy, sorry for the confusion but i meant that double 10oz deck would be heavier than 6/6. But then I just re-read the original post and saw that the questions was about the strength of a single layer of 10oz. My mistake. I need to read more carefully haha.