Want to be immortalized...

How long do I have to look at that wrinkled guy blowing cigarette smoke on the home page ad for 365 Surfboards Needs You? Get rid of it.

I’m sure he’s a great shaper, but he’s no poster boy for the industry.

who is he ?

Thats Bruce Brown. Surf film-maker. Endless Summer and more. Right?

Barry Snyder

Yes.

Yes.

We don’t need no stinkin’ poster boys around here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Brown

In addition to the names already thrown out (and I’m in agreement on all of them) I would hope Bruce Fowler (deadshaper) would be included. 

If he wasn’t so busy shaping, he could write one heck of a good read himself.

Finally clicked the photo that shows up when I log out, and ended up here.

I think it is a great idea.  I think all the suggested names/additions are good.  But there are so many “nobodies” here who have added small but great ideas/techniques/developments.  More often than not, these contributions are not even recognized for the pearls they truly are.

I have been lurking here for many years now.  I come here looking for, and sometimes comment on, the unique and/or new ideas/technologies – that are often offered by the nobodies.

But, I truly appreciate all of the the great old tricks and seasoned wisdom offered by the somebodies who generously contribute their knowledge…

This is not necessarily a nomination.  But the thread I follow most fequently right now (3/3/13) is Surffoils adventure into low profile hydrofoils.  Threads like this are what make Sways so different from the mainstream vanilla.

Many of the unnoticed nobodies at Sways are the catalysts of what is yet to come.  It would be difficult to capture this significant aspect of Sways with 365 nominations.

EDIT:

To quote a classic episode, IMO, of Outer Limits, Final Exam:

Too often, “We ask the right question expecting the wrong answer (the accepted belief/knowledge).”

Good comment BG.  I appreciate the generous sharing spirit of so many here, pro and backyarder alike.  I also appreciate that there are those willing to go outside the box and pursue their imagination and originality, and share it here (even if sometimes subjected to ridicule or criticism).  I have never found another place on the internet that rivals swaylocks in this regard.

“That’s why I love Swaylocks, there are so many perspectives from just
about every part of the world. People are trying to make surfcraft using
unique materials and methods and it’s all OK. The industry will always
be what it is, and do things the way they do because it’s about selling
product. Home builders can do what they do and try what others call
ridiculous.”
- sharkcountry

"the mentality of this culture and the industry behind it is so full of itself and hypocritical

…the universe doesn’t care whether surfing or surfers as everyone believes themselves to be

exists or not…

…accept it all without judgement

cause in the end 

its all just meaningless fun" - oneula

I like this quote but with one critical exception.  Meaningless is the antithesis of fun.  That is, fun is anything but meaningless.

Fun may well be the gateway to immortatlity 

Yeah, that pic of Bruce’s weather-beaten mug is starting to freak me out. Every time I log in, there he is, leering at me through a veil of cancer smoke. Time to change that pic…