Want to talk to me about "No Nose"?

I’ve been thinking about a quad no nose. Around 7-0, although the one attached is 7-6. Is anyone still building this design? Valid? I know some of the Chayne H history.

Will people scoff? Do I care if people scoff?

Seriously, what are the pro’s and con’s? How much “no nose” is enough or too little?

I’d probably be in the 15 to 16 inch range on the tail.

Any pictures of a good NN?

I rode boards like that back in the 80’s. It was very easy to dip. If you do job on the rails and bottom, all boards work.

D

Greg,

I’ve got a 7’0" quad from Brian Bulkley that is kinda close to what you are asking about, the nose isn’t quite that narrow (12.5 if I remember right) and the tail is wide 16" , double bump to pull it in. My buddy mentioned that it looked a lot like something Cheyne Horan would ride.

The board works great, if you want a good quad call Brian, he’s a great guy to work with I’ve gotten 2 boards from him. He has a ton of experience shaping. I asked him to make something an older guy like me (48) could catch waves easy and still turn it easily

He ships to the East Coast also

www.bulkleysurfboards.com

Jim N

That board scares me for numerous reasons…

Hey Greg,

Boards with an outline like what you’re talking about are usually surfed by only the strongest of our fellow surfers.

Wide point is almost always behind center which makes for a board that requires a whole lot of fin driving and is meant for the days when the waves aren’t standing up that much unless you’re Parko or Pancho and can push the hell out of the thing with raw talent.

http://www.stretchboards.com/boards/index.php?cat=1&product=138

Shapes like this don’t project out of the wave face very much. In the right conditions they can me lots of fun but when it’s like this I prefer an eggy shape that will catch waves more easily. That pointed nose doesn’t help getting into the wave at all.

Each to their own.

Mahalo, Rich

I was thinking you were talking about the chopped-off/squared nose, which is supposed to be hard to pearl, and no disadvantages except you can’t kill people (as easily) with it.

That pointy thing is for looks.

I made this board a little over a year ago. Wide point 3-4" behind center, 10 1/2" nose, 14" tail. I consider it a no nose. My impression- besides the fact that is does not have enough volume (and at 45 years old I got tired of free falling every takeoff) is that it is vey sensitive to the sweet spot. If I’m not on it I flail, it’s really squirrely with no drive. If I’m on it it is very positive, holds and drives. I don’t know what to attribute this sensitivity to. Maybe it being a no nose?

I remember back in the 70’s here in Palos Verdes no nose single fins were the board of choice (and the kick stall the move of choice). They were kind of squirrely too.

ps currently for sale on ebay, too small for me

Majorly pulled curve ahead of the wide point = everything up there is unusable

Seriously unforgiving

greg

Got my curiosity aroused. Are you able to give a more detailed explanation without hijacking the thread (but then that may also help with the whole thread)?

OK, killjoys. Project canceled. Hope you’re happy. (kidding) (of course you’re happy, you save me some wasted foam and epox) (I’m happy too).

But, yes, everything north of the wide pt would be useless. Isn’t it anyway? and think how easy it would be to duck dive a bigger board.

and what about the McCoy nugget? He made it work. Famously work. Maybe I should study that outline.

Quote:

But, yes, everything north of the wide pt would be useless. Isn’t it anyway? and think how easy it would be to duck dive a bigger board.

and what about the McCoy nugget? He made it work. Famously work. Maybe I should study that outline.

But you use that surface and volume for planing up and the pop-up, also turns that sink rail up past the WP. McCoy 's boards were/are thick and wide for plane and float to make it all work forgivingly behind WP, so good thought.

You guys are getting some good surf that you need to duckdive?

sigh

envy

Grrrreg

Something on tap for day after Christmas, eh? http://magicseaweed.com/Gulf-Coast-MSW-Surf-Charts/9/

Good for you bro

Greg