Waterproofing a wooden surfboard

Hi everyone, I’m Greg from Switzerland and I’m new here. Here is my web site : www.hosurfboard.ch
I’m following some discussion when I’m lost in the making of my wooden surfboard, thank you so much for all the advices found on swaylocks !

I haven’t found yet an answer to my question…

For several years now I am looking for a wood sealer for my surfboard.
I am sick of polyurethane, epoxy and all those chemical stuff. I want to go the natural way.
I have tried bio source epoxy, but it is actually not 100% ecological …

I once asked myself, how would the ancient boat builder, canoe builder or any water crafts were sealed and made waterproof when the chemical industry didn’t exist?

I found a Japanese way of preserving wood called “Shou Sugi Ban”, a process that actually make you burn the surface of the wood. But it wan’t make the wood waterproof.
I read about the ancient Canoe builders and their recipe for waterproofing, but haven’t tried yet, because I haven’t found the materials.

I am sure and convinced that their is a natural solution to filling the pores of the wood to prevent the water to come in.
So that’s why I am starting this conversation with you.

Many thanks for your reply.

Cheers
Greg

I believe the ancient Hawaiians used the oil of the kukui nut.

I seem to recall something about a certain clay that was used by the ancient Polynesians to seal the pores of their wooden surf craft, sorry couldn’t be more specific.

I do suspect the ancient wood boards were expected to take on a certain amount of water during use, and dry out between sessions. They weren’t hollow, so it wasn’t a matter of filling with water.

The eskimos used animal skins on their personal watercraft, probably in conjunction with certain oils or animal fats. I believe tar was used on some ancient ships. Wax might be a possibility as well.

I think if you want to go the “natural” route, you have to embrace the concept of a temporary seal that has to be constantly re-applied vs. the more permanent nature of a chemical (resin) seal.

Beeswax and lanolin or beeswax and pure gum turpentine mixtures

The fiber used to caulk seams in old wooden boats is called oakum. It is made from unravelled hemp rope. it is used in conjunction with some kind of tar and forced/compressed in the seams. A good friend of mine has worked with it a lot, as he specializes in restoration of old boats.

http://www.swaylocks.com/groups/sealing-alaia-board-made-soft-porous-wood
http://www.swaylocks.com/comment/294442#comment-294442

BTW mineral oil is a petroleum based product.

Wow ! many thanks for all your answers !
there are definitely possibilities now I have to test the best ones.
As soon as I finished my board I’ll post it with my review.

Thank you so much !

Perhaps a thicker mix of oil gives slight composite type improvement when infused into wood…?

On my wooden (Paulownia) longboards I put many and many layers of boiled linseed oil diluted with turpentine and I finish work with bee wax.

That is a beautiful looking board.

WOW beautiful board ! amazing work !
No fiber, nothing ?
The many layers of boiled linseed are applied at the same time or from time to time over the years ?

What glue did you used ?

Thanks !

Thank you GWills, I’m glad of it.
No fiber, just wood!
I use a structural polyurethane glue D4 class.
I apply lightweight layers of oil day after day for weeks and after a few months I can seal with beeswax.

You can see the costruction here:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/whynotshaping/photos/?tab=album&album_id=383656608459738

Wow great ! I have to try it.

Many thanks for your advice.