wave riding vehicles history

A Bob White ad from roughly the same period

A WRV #3, from around 1969

I will let you know when I ride it. It is headed for ding repair and I just gor in the replacement fin from Juan down in FL

I believe its 1970 as well. according to the numbering scheme they used for serial numbers back then.

It is definately Marty Keeseckers handwriting on it. He usually put a “K” next to the serial number. But he was on the outs w the Fine brothers (Bob White’s financers) at the time and was shaping for AMERICA surfboards w Ronnie Mellott at the same time. So he may have wanted to not put his “K” on this one or he simply forgot.

its around 7ft too and I just got a replacement fin from Juan in FL for it.

Very sweet! I have a #1 as well

There was a Bob White on Offerup around here just recently, hmmmmm. Well since we resurected this old thread, let’s keep it going. That WRV logo is definitely recognizable but I never was a big fan of it. Personally, I like symmetrical logos (or names) and even to this day think the RV logo looks like a nicely laid out shrimp cocktail. * On a side note, I commented on this thread 12 years ago while living in Baltimore, desperate to get back to a beach, any beach. I made it back and I’m so glad I did. 

From left to right:

• 1996-97 Tommy Moore WRV - sort of a thruster fish hybrid. It’s a potato chip board but my kid loves it. 

• 80s WRV twin fin - exact date unknown and shaper unknown (possibly under the traction pad). I took this board out in chest high tubes and could feel the fins flexing. Haven’t ridden it since.

• 1978 WRV single fin. The guy I got it from told me it is a Frierson shape but there’s no signature or serial #. I believe it’s high density foam in the middle area. Bottom contours are flat the whole board. 

I’ve never seen or heard anything about these “numbered” WRV boards. What’s the history explaination around them?

I guess Bob White used this minimalist approach to marketing his surfboards as a rejection of the psychedelic era. 

Although Bob was known to imbide in pychedelics  by 1969 I think he wanted to strip it back to just  Man, Medium and Wave.

The Minimalism movement was flourishing in the late 60’s early 70’s. and Bob always considered himself an artist.

I don’t have it handy at the moment, but I recall an ad where he explained it.

He basically mocked all the silly names that had been invented for various models from ‘name’ brands in recent years (1965-68) and even gave a few fictional, humorous examples of what he was getting at.

It was not a specific dig at the psychedelic fad, but a broader rejection of the practice.

Where did you find those images? I don’t recall seeing them before.

Just online

That’s awesome, thanks. I want a number 4.

It definately looks like a Frierson

Possibly shaped by Marty Keesecker.

it’s definately a Keesecker.

Thats the K in the serial Number.

I have serveral of his boards

His add sense played on “non-conformist” like Noll and Dora’s adds.  Thereby making everyone who bought their boards “conformists”.  I understand the ridiculousness of surfboard names and models.  Precisely the reasoning that caused me to switch to a numbered model system as well.