weird one...

Somebody gave me this board.  I recognize the ‘dog bone’ box as Hobie and possibly the ‘Honolulu Hawaii’ as well.  Can’t seem to find a Hobie logo or signature on it although there is a ‘risque’ image of a woman and some message under the glass that read, “How Does That Make You Feel?”  

The board is truly beat and ranks right down there with one of the worst three I’ve ever owned.  Something suggests perhaps a factory guy’s personal board but as much as the thought intrigues me, I doubt if it is a Phil Edwards Honolulu.  The fin box looks to be a decent install and the overall glass job as beat as it is doesn’t look like a redo or cutdown.

The nose of the board appears to have been damaged at some point and snubbed off.  The rails in the tail have a fairly sharp crown at the top and there is an approx. 45 degree angle edge where the sides meet the tail area along that top edge.

Perhaps somebody else has a clue?

Check with Dick Metz @ SHACC, I suspect he may know about that board.    He was  involved with Hobie, around that time.

Thank you for that, Bill.  I have dropped a note via the museum contact form to see if I can get his attention.  

Metz is out of town until next week.

The circle around the screw.  Hadn’t realized Hobie did that too.

Hi John,

Do you have a plan for this one as far as cleaning it up and/or using it goes?

Hi jrandy - Not sure on that.  It might depend on what it is.  As mentioned, it’s RRRRRRRough!  I considered removing the box and listing on Ebay.

What did you end up doing with this board? Any chance of a pic of the whole thing?

It’s too bad John that this board is in such bad shape.  It would be pretty unique otherwise.

Yeah… it’s really borderline for me between fixing or just scavanging the fin box for EBay…

polish it …

no that is not a slur on our Polish brethren.

much could be revealed with a good rub.

…ambrose…

computer been on the fritz

getting my hand ey e co opperation

back togetherwith the key board

It looks like I’ll have to somehow remove about 10 lbs of duct tape first!

Hey John!

If the dog bone is the judge of time.

And how does that make you feel, the theme, hummmmm,

Connect the dots,

OR

Classic Hobie Dog Bone fin box, Fin and hardware,

RARE! pay up!

LOL Matty