wet suit bootie recommendations

Damn, the water temp finally dipped.  Should have done the over night for ten bucks or whatever rather than the free 10 day delivery. Thought I had more time but know better. If I like em but the low top is an issue I’ll get the high top. Mike

Those appear to have zippers, which really suck for surf boots. Guaranteed to let plenty of water in, right away. Results in the dreaded “jello bags”.

Regarding the “upper neck” of our Solite boots, the “o-ring” style is something made popular by Xcel on their Drylock boots. I think it works better than velcro because velcro tends to bunch up the cuff of the boots and create channels where water can leak in during leg flushes. With these O-Ring styles, I take my boots off after sessions and Zero water comes out of the boots. Works great. Just need to be a little bit careful taking them on and off (long fingernails=bad) because the smooth skin on the inside tends to be more prone to cuts.

—in reply to Jamie:

if those collars are the same that some wetsuits have in the arms or that “liquid tape” that Rip curl and others put on they wetsuits, well, only last few sessions; velcro still there however…

The “collar” is pretty much the same design that has been used successfully on the Xcel Drylock boots for many years. It’s an o-ring with a narrow opening and smoothskin on the inside which provides a great seal against flushes. Only issue is you have to be careful not to cut the smoothskin with your fingernails.  The liquid seam seal on the outside is also pretty far evolved. Used by pretty much every high-end suit/bootie around and all made by the same factory (Sheico).

I wear booties year round and they suffer from the walk across rocks. Difficult to find ones that don’t fill with water and he manufacturers seem to change their designs just when I find a model that suits me. I hear you on the too short booties - that 1" of freezing ankle between bootie and wetsuit leg is the pits!

The velcro around the top of the bootie seems to give out pretty quick. Leggie seals one foot, and I sometimes use another leggie to seal the other bootie, but water ingress still happens. The only way around water bags on each foot is to have good tight fitting booties. You’re buggered if your foot size is between sizes!

Anyway I’ve had some success repairing worn out favourite bootie soles (the heels of mine seem to go first) by cutting rubber (from old bicycle tubes), roughing it up and glueing it to the foot using a good contact adhesive (I use Selly’s). Doesn’t last forever, but good for another season or so.

Mine usually tear out above my heal from pulling them on. Because you need to have them tight fitting. I’ve had my big toe go through some, too.  Restricting blood flow because of the tight bootie results in cold feet, anyway. The coldest it gets is around 48 degrees in the spring.  Surfed yesterday and the water was pretty warm, again.  Mike

Any recommendations?   I liked the Bodyglove ECO bootie because they didn’t get all soggy, stretched out, and heavy. They don’t make them anymore.  I’m not too concerned about warmth. 3mm is all I use. This issue is stretched out sogginess, toe folding under, that type of thing.  What do you use?  Mike - See more at: http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/wet-suit-bootie-recommendations#sthash.GT3KH0Iz.dpuf

I like the new 3mm dipped boots.  They are really warm for a 3mm boot.  Several companies make them.  Buy what fits best.

…now almost all are a tight fit due to the wrong sizes that have…
Regarding short legged booties, also, I want to buy a reef type booties but Im worried about lost them in the water after a strong duck diving, or washing machined in the inside, etc

-I used booties all my surfing life and is not possible to get rid of the water inside due to drain from the wetsuit.
I use normally a 4/3mm and a 5mm booties plus rash guard for around 7 months by year; then spring suit with detachable arms and 3mm booties but I m changing to those reef booties…I hope not to lost them in the first session.

OK. I bought a pair of the neo sports recommended and discussed above. I returned the first pair because they were way too big. I was skeptical when I saw them, too.  They were not cut for a surfing bootie. They didn’t hug your foot.  I exchanged them for a smaller size. The smaller size fit in the length, but again, they were not cut for a surfing bootie. They have a relatively hard sole with really light weight(3mm) rubber tops that flex and stretched way too much.  My foot slid around from side to side.  I don’t recommend these booties for surfing.  I wouldn’t even recommend them for reef walking, fishing around rocks, gathering mussels or anything else. For 30 bucks you get what you pay for and these aren’t worth 30 bucks in my opinion.  Still looking… Mike

I have a pair of these http://scubacom.mwrc.net/en/product.php?product_id=59789

Body glove prime in 5mm… They have served me well in the freezing waters of New Jersey winter.

They make a 3mm aswell but can not speak to it. 

the ones I have go up under my suit well, are flexible and not too bulky. 

Aw shoot , sorry rooster.sorry to steer you wrong.

I’m a cheap skate and they work for me. I actually really like them 

wideawake.  How did you size them for your foot?  Mike

No worries, Tom. Glad you like yours.  The price is right.  I’m a big boy and make my own decisions and don’t blame anyone but me. Thanks for trying to help out. Mike

my favorite pair has been the excel drylock 5mm. the no velcro ankle seal is really nice and they have sturdier rubber around the sides of the foot to help the boot keep its shape.

just picked up some 5mm ripcurl flashbomb (with fuzzy insides) - see how those go once the water gets a bit colder…

body glove at one time was making a boot with laces across the top - that seemed like it would be much better than a velcro strap to snug down on your foot

I’ve heard a few plusses for the Xcell drylock.  I’ll give them a try.  Laces in cold weather could be problematic.  Sometimes my fingers are too cold to get booties on. And, get them off. Mike

Mike - I usually wear a 12 or 13 depending on the shoe. In the boots I have a 12. They fit snug - how I like them to fit.

I have found that anything that requires advanced hand activities (any thing you can’t do with a pair of mittens on ) should be avoided. When it’s really cold after a couple hours in the water, even using a key to open the car door can be a real chore. 

You don’t have any shops up your way where you can try them on? 

There are two shops in town.  I don’t think either sale Xcell booties.  O Neil and Rip Curl.  There are many shops in the county north of me though. I think I’m going up there Wednesday. Maybe surf, get booties, turn in a wetsuit for zipper repair, hit a brewery or two. Mike

Aloha Mike,

Look up the S. TOKUNAGA STORE, in Hilo Hawaii, they have both split toe, and full toe TABI’S.        I’ve used Tabi’s for years, and really like them.       Look into them, they may be what you’re after.

I will, Bill. Thanks for the info. Mike