What design features would you use?

I’ve been set a theoretical task of designing a surf board that’ll go in a variety of waves; Bells beach, Rincon, San Onofre, Fistral beach and Uluwatu). The board has to be suitable for both beginners and experts alike. I’m thinking ‘longboard’ but what exact design features, rocker line, bottom contours, nose/tail width, thickness, etc, I haven’t a clue. I’m interested in your thoughtsand comments.

I’ve been set a theoretical task of designing a surf board that’ll go in a > variety of waves; Bells beach, Rincon, San Onofre, Fistral beach and > Uluwatu). The board has to be suitable for both beginners and experts > alike. I’m thinking ‘longboard’ but what exact design features, rocker > line, bottom contours, nose/tail width, thickness, etc, I haven’t a clue. > I’m interested in your thoughtsand comments. What a question??? I would build a 6’2 x 18 1/2 x 2 1/8 but then again i wouldn’t ride a longboard at Uluwatu.?? i always thought what i would make if i could only have one board on some island and couldn’t have another board ever again??? I guess my 6’2 would have to work darn!!! Need more real info… http://surfnwsc.com

longboard, hybrid, shortboard… whatever you like. I’d say go longer than your every day model. If it has to cover all those conditions (some of which I’ve never surfed) it will involve some compromise - I would take a loss of performance in little waves for some paddling and security in bigger faster waves. By all means put a long box and side boxes or plugs in it and take a quiver of fins!

I’ve been set a theoretical task of designing a surf board that’ll go in a > variety of waves; Bells beach, Rincon, San Onofre, Fistral beach and > Uluwatu). The board has to be suitable for both beginners and experts > alike. I’m thinking ‘longboard’ but what exact design features, rocker > line, bottom contours, nose/tail width, thickness, etc, I haven’t a clue. > I’m interested in your thoughtsand comments. A Rusty Desert Island style shape, as featured on his webpage.

i’d second that. 7’6"-8’0" desert island type with as many fin options as possible, maybe a box and red x sides.

I’ve been set a theoretical task of designing a surf board that’ll go in a > variety of waves; Bells beach, Rincon, San Onofre, Fistral beach and > Uluwatu). The board has to be suitable for both beginners and experts > alike. I’m thinking ‘longboard’ but what exact design features, rocker > line, bottom contours, nose/tail width, thickness, etc, I haven’t a clue. > I’m interested in your thoughtsand comments. I have a 9’0" single fin longboard that might be close to what youre looking for. Ive tried to keep it simple as possible. Seems to me that the less complicated a board is, the more different kind of conditions it can handle. Its board no. 417 in the archives under 9’0" - 9’11". Ive used it in various conditions here in Hawaii and it goes pretty good.

I’ve been set a theoretical task of designing a surf board that’ll go in a > variety of waves; Bells beach, Rincon, San Onofre, Fistral beach and > Uluwatu). The board has to be suitable for both beginners and experts > alike. I’m thinking ‘longboard’ but what exact design features, rocker > line, bottom contours, nose/tail width, thickness, etc, I haven’t a clue. > I’m interested in your thoughtsand comments. I built a 6’3" x 12" x 20" x 15 x 2 1/4" off of a 6’3"H blank. I ride it in mush to 10’+ on a North facing Oahu reef break. It is a rounded pin that is pulled in at the tail to handle some pretty big hollow conditions. I used Furures F JC2 fins. So far it has handled everything I have paddled out in. I still leave it in my car when it gets over 10’ but I ride it nine days out of ten so far this winter. If you want to go short, go wide and keep the rocker to a minimum. If you need an idea of how wide you can go on any blank, look for the line where the rail rolls under. You can follow that through the middle section of your blank and shape the nose and tail to meet up with that line. So far it has worked out well for me. Also, you can make a tool that is a combination between a Fred and a T square to trace the outline of your blank and draw a line off of that. If the blank is dinged up on the rails, you will have to clean it up free hand, but you can get a really consistant templet that works well with the blank. All you have to do is; make a T square, decide how much you want to take off of each side, attach a pencil and run it down the lenth of the blank. You still may end up adjusting the nose and tail, but it’s a great place to start. Mitch Kaneohe Bay Hawaii