What do you guys think?

So was surfing a relativly heavy (for me) slab last weekend…well long story short…drove my knee into the rail. Pics below. What do you guys think is the best way to repair this? Glue in new foam? QCell and resin and glass over it? or just glass over the broken shattered glass?

[img_assist|nid=1051912|title=Damage 1|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=480|height=640]

[img_assist|nid=1051913|title=Damage 2|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=480|height=640]

I would sand, tape off, and glass over it.  Fare it all in nice and smooth. I would glass over any cracks in the glass around the dent too.   Ice for the knee. Mike

I’ve got one of those… on my 8’ egg, glass didn’t crack though and I left it in- feels so funky to the hand now like a grip or something. Just too far back to use. I second the glass and fair.

First off, rinse the area in fresh water and let
it soak in to wash out any salt in the foam. Salt
will rot the foam over time. Then sand it carefully
especially in the area around the rail crack. Do
you have access to styrene? If not, you will have
a bit of a scar after glass. If you do, wash styrene
into the crack with a bit of catalyzed resin. Make sure
you take the area around the crack (in the rail zone)
down thru one of the layers of cloth. Fill the dent
on the deck side with a few layers of cloth and layer
the cloth over the crack. Sand out flush, hot coat
& smooth into the surrounding hot coat. I would not
be concerned with a dip in the deck if there is enough
cloth over the patch. Will not be pretty, but will last
the life of the board. A bad repair in this area will result
in a snapped board in a short time due to the weakness
in the rail. Just my 2c… had a repair of a bro’s board
(brand new board) in the Mentawais just like this from
transport in the back of a mini-truck to the boat…lol

Ok! Thank you guys! Thats 3 for just glassing over it.

Will give it a wash tonight after work.

Surfteach, no I dont have any styrene, so I guess will have to live with the scar. Thanks for an indepth instructions!

Kon

hey kon

i have some if you need a bit of styrene

and yeah glass over it

paul

Hey Paul

Thanks for the offer! But I think I will not get a chance to get out to you for another few weeks. So I'll have to make do with what I got. It should be alright!

OT>> I got 3litre kit of Surf Clear Epoxy from Sea Base. 68 pounds it was total. I ordered RR initially but they were out of stock, so they sent me surfclear for same price. Hopefully will glass it this weekend.

The blank is sealed, feels sturdy.