What is a good scissor length for cutting cloth -->

Hey guys,

What IS a good scissor length for cutting cloth hanging down a surfboard?

And do those scissors have blunted tips? Or is that for sissies? [what is the right spelling?]

Thanks a bunch [of fibres]

Wouter

Hi Wouter! I think You have a good question there. I don’t have the answer perhaps but imho I think an important thing for getting those difficult laps decent You should have longer scissors and they have to be well sharpened! To get a clean cut I use one hand as a guideline so the lap gets cut at approximately the same lenght all the way. I learned this by watching Bambam808 :s excellent lamination video which can be found on google video:

http://video.google.com/…search&plindex=0

Also try and stay on line with Your scissors so You get less strands breaking loose, guide Your scissors like in the above video. It worked out better than before for me with less messy laps.

This is what I’m using now: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90609

14" long, plenty sharp, only $2.79 at HF. Cheap enough to be disposable when they get dull.

Howzit Wouter, I use 2 different scissors for cutting the glass. Big weiss sissors for first cutting then fiskars to clean up any jagged cuts. I am pretty anal when it comes to this and always make sure the shorter stands are ai the middle of the rail, then pull 1 strand off. The better you cut the glass the easier it is to wrap when laminating, of course I’m talking about free laps.Aloha,Kokua

I use electric scissors for cutting laps and fiskars for cutting darts. But, first I run around with them, just because I’m not supposed to.

Like Kokua said “long”. Weiss can be bought at Foamez or Fiberglass Hawaii or online. A couple pair of Fiskar are good to have around the shop as well. The problem with Weiss is that eventually they get dull and have to be taken to the shapener or do them yourself. A glasser usually keeps more than one pair around for that reason. I like the electric as well. No wravels or threads hanging. But you have to use them alot to keep the batteries from going bad.

Ever see that “Cheers” episode where Frasier was running around the bar with a pair of sissors in his hand yelling; “I’m runnig wth scissors! I’m runnng with scissors!”

Howzit McDing, Biggest problem with weiss is they like to rust here in Hawaii (what doesn’t) and even keeping them submerged in acetone they still rust but not to bad. I have a small honing stone that I use on the Weisses before cutting glass other wise the sissors can catch an snag the glass. The Fiskars work great for fine tuning the cut glass.Aloha,Kokua

Kokua -------------Funny you would mention the rust. I brought a pair over to Maui with me in '01and I was so bummed that they rusted so quickly. Rust doesn’t help your edge.

Howzit McDing, I hear you and I couldn't believe they could rust even in acetone but they did and there were rust residue in the bottom of the acetone bucket which was a separate one just for the sissors. Lucky we live Hawaii except for the rust factor. Using the little honing stone really helped, I would use it on the angled edge and the flat side to remove any rust plus shapen the cutting edge. The only other way to keep the rust away would be keeping them soaked in oil but that's a no  no since the oil could get on the glass and ruin it. They are now in my tool box wrapped in an oily rag waitin for me to get a new shop going so I can bring them out of retirement.Aloha,Kokua
Quote:
Howzit Wouter, I use 2 different scissors for cutting the glass. Big weiss sissors for first cutting then fiskars to clean up any jagged cuts. I am pretty anal when it comes to this and always make sure the shorter stands are ai the middle of the rail, then pull 1 strand off. The better you cut the glass the easier it is to wrap when laminating, of course I'm talking about free laps.Aloha,Kokua

Kokua,

SEE I said you would be telling the surgeon what tools to use…what brand of scissors did they use on you and, hope they were not rusty?

How are you and have you been done yet???

Rocky

Howzit Rocklobster, Yeah I am like that, if they would give me a local I would probably try to tell her how to do the operation. Aloha,Kokua

you can sharpen your weiss with the little air grinders. i use a worn out 2" 60 grit disc and just use the same angle as what is on the weiss’s already…been doing it like that for 12 years. it sharpens em’ perfect for cutting glass, with a slight serraded edge. use some old ones to practice on and you’ll get it pretty quick. you can pretty much bring any pair of weiss’s back from the dead using those little grinders.

Mundial.

Can’t beat em, listen to the boat builders, they cut more cloth in a day than any board builder will in a life time.

I like the 12" ones with the sharp tips, so you can easily snip in tight spots.

They will last you forever.

This is the USA website, but they are made in Brazil. Gasp! something brilliant that is not made in the states!

[url]

http://www.mundialusa.com/industrial_individual.html

[/url]

Rust!!!

You guys got ripped off!!!

That’s a good tip. I’m going to try it. Thanks

hey people

for the long scissors, do they have teeth or are they smooth??

i did a search for fiskars, it is a brand –> can you anybody tell me more?

Thanks, for the more detailed teeth posts.

hi wouter

viral has the mundial scissors mentioned above.

expensive but good and remember who buzs cheap buzs twice.

My glass cutting scissors/ my wife’s dressmaking scissors. Depends who your talking to and if they’re in the house or the garage at the time.

Tom

hey guys

i bought this one:

1 foot 1 inch long

Mundial Tailors scissors, for 23 Euros

ill post my findings with them

and thanks for the Viral Tip, Chene.

Wouter

[img_assist|nid=1030290|title=Mundial Schaar 30 cm|desc=Scissors Mundial 13 inches|link=none|align=left|width=567|height=428]

Thats the one! You bought well, they will last you forever, and thats about the right price.

Cleaning them with solvent starts removing the black colour on the handles, but it’s just a colour.

Clean them well if you get them anywhere near wet epoxy.

Cutting surfboard cloth in small quantities you will barely ever need to sharpen them.

Just make sure that if you do sharpen them, that you only file down the bevel, don’t ever touch the flat faces of the blades!

Nice one