What is an LP top coat?

I love the Board Lady. Upon researching her site, almost all of her repairs require some sort of paint to match her repair to the existing board. On almost every single one of these repairs, she uses an LP top coat. For some reason she never says what ‘LP’ means. Does anybody have an idea what an LP topcoat is, and/or what LP stands for? Thanks. 

Linear Polyurethane Paint.

Thanks, that was driving me nuts. Interesting she used that; I thought she used epoxy on her repairs. I would’ve thought she’d worry about the poly/epoxy bonding issues. 

I haven’t read her site, but as a top coat it seems like it would be hard to blend with the existing gloss or sanded finish.

I use “Painters Choice” Clear Satin or Gloss spray cans from Home Depot.  The Gloss depends on whether or not the board is older or new.  Shiny or dull.  They work great.  Rustoleum works as well.

You may be thinking of the possible bonding problems with epoxy and polyester.

Surftech uses polyurethane paint as their top coat.

Here is a diagram of the layers in a Surftech Tuflite.

You are absolutely right. I was confusing polyester with polyurethane. Thanks.

2 parts linear polyuréthane clear coat is a standard varnish for car painters. Now a dans you find more and more acrylics two parts, far less nasty to use for workers. In boat industry you also find 1 part brushable one’s. As McDing i use rattel can’s from home dépôt, easy way to have clean finish.

Yeah I used a fair amount of Two-pac paint and clear during the early 2000’s on Sailboard repairs. Omni and PPG.  Nasty stuff.  Haven’t used any of the new water born stuff yet. Some of the paints I used stayed tacky so that the Clear Coat would stick. 

I’ve used the gloss spray (per your suggestion on another thread) and it came out with spotty results; literal spots. I believe it was user error. I have also used your concrete sealer idea with much better results (but I don’t always want to use that.

It sounds like the board lady’s materials might be a bit outdated, so I’ll look into more akrylic, water based paints. I currently use an akrylic with good results (small scale dings) but I want to step up to more ‘professional’ repairs/color matching.

So you’re saying you paint/color match and then throw on a gloss coat, right? Do you lightly sand the paint before gloss? And is it a gloss coat (resin), or simply a spray gloss, what you suggested earlier.