What is an S deck?

I copied and pasted this from another string of messages: How about making it into an “S” deck,single fin,roll bottom on front going to flat to a soft vee.Rails "up"in front…60/40 center…down soft in the tail.Classic 1968 shape. R.B. I get everything there but the “S” deck. What does that mean?

There was a recent example of an S deck in the photo archives.

There was a recent example of an S deck in the photo archives.

S-deck, camel hump…Check Resource Numbers 494, 555, 456, 489. It evolved, I believe, from Yater spoon. It puts the greatest thickness where it is needed, right below your chest. With the additional thickness in the middle, you can thin the tail and rails. With the right rocker and rail contours, you’ll get a centered stance rail turning hooter. The 456 resource tells you what you need to know…

S-deck, camel hump…Check Resource Numbers 494, 555, 456, 489. It evolved, I believe, from Yater spoon. It puts the greatest thickness where it is needed, right below your chest. With the additional thickness in the middle, you can thin the tail and rails. With the right rocker and rail contours, you’ll get a centered stance rail turning hooter. The 456 resource tells you what you need to know…

Proneman was nice enough to let me borrow his 9’8 arc tail Simmons board on Sat. Simmons-esque rather in its outline. It’s a classic s-deck, pinched-rail hull with a three-part rocker. A very unique board, it seems to deliver exactly what the wave demands of it.

Proneman was nice enough to let me borrow his 9’8 arc tail Simmons board on Sat. Simmons-esque rather in its outline. It’s a classic s-deck, pinched-rail hull with a three-part rocker. A very unique board, it seems to deliver exactly what the wave demands of it.

As viewed from the side, the rail line begins higher at the front and tapers down to lower at the tail. The bottom surface of the nose is convex, or has “belly”. Upper surface of tail is domed and foiled downward. Rail contours are often tapered thinner, softly parabolic, a little fuller in the mid-section. Low rocker throughout, especially in tail. Very old design, but classic function on a good, long wall.

As viewed from the side, the rail line begins higher at the front and tapers down to lower at the tail. The bottom surface of the nose is convex, or has “belly”. Upper surface of tail is domed and foiled downward. Rail contours are often tapered thinner, softly parabolic, a little fuller in the mid-section. Low rocker throughout, especially in tail. Very old design, but classic function on a good, long wall.