What Kind of Ink/Paint Pens for Mulberry Rice Paper

Hey all,

I have a roll of mulberry rice paper from my local art shop.  What kind of ink pens or paint pens can I use to draw sharp lines that won’t bleed through, saturate the paper or give me problems on the hot coat?  I am not screening these.  These are to be done freehand.

I’m doing opaque cut laps, so these are not going under glass.

Thanks!

I would think the supplier (“local art shop”) should be able to answer the first two questions, the third you could determine by a test before actual hot coat.  I have used Sharpi for touchups when I sanded through a logo, without incident, but can’t guarantee it will be the ticket your specific situation.

thats a tough ask. most ink will bleed a tiny bit on rice paper. some more than others.

if youre doing it freehand you might be better off going pen straight onto board and adding a patch over it.

i did on my last and ongoing board and it worked fine. polyester though. pen is a Molotov pen.

I bought a cheap set of multi-colored Acrylic pens from Walmart that did pretty well.  Waterbased Acrylic is the ticket, but anything can happen on Mulberry or Rice Paper.  I have a fine White and Black each Posca pens that I use on dark and white backgrounds respectfully.  It took me awhile to master how to use them.

You are going to want to get some glass and resin over the mulberry ‘rice’ paper so it turns clear and is protected from impact and UV.

https://www.swaylocks.com/forums/rice-paper-1

[[{“fid”:“109472”,“view_mode”:“default”,“fields”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false},“type”:“media”,“field_deltas”:{“1”:{“format”:“default”,“alignment”:“”,“field_file_image_alt_text[und][0][value]”:false,“field_file_image_title_text[und][0][value]”:false}},“link_text”:null,“attributes”:{“class”:“media-element file-default”,“data-delta”:“1”}}]]

Wow, that’s nice. Is that freehand or a screen?

Thanks Monk, I printed the design onto rice paper with a regular computer/office printer and colored it in by hand. If you click the link above the picture you’ll get more info.