What should we do with this old Yater 9'0" longboard?

This is another one of Dale Websters (   Dale Webster - Wikipedia  )  old boards pulled out of the dust. I’m hoping to get some insight from the experts out there about what they would do with this board if they found it. And let me just say this now, “Throw it in the garbage!” so people don’t have to respond with that later. We have no idea of the boards value or how far it’s worth it to go in restoring this board. It was purchased in the 70’s, it has a nice tail block and double stringer and it’s a real clean shape with a clean flat bottom and soft rails and a nice curvy rocker to it…and it’s a numbered Yater.  The board is not in good shape because about half of the tail area is delaminate and there’s some bad sun damage and other problems all over the deck. The bottom is semi ok with a few small dings to repair but around the fin box is delaminated bad and will need some work.  I know this is not some rare jewel but it’s also not my board so I would love to be able to tell Dale what the pro’s out there thought so I can tell him that.

So please help me choose.

1. It’s not worth putting ANY money into, throw it away.

2) It’s a cool old board so save it as is and stick it in a corner or hand it on a wall.

3) Fix the fin area on the bottom and strip and re-glass the deck. (spend roughly $100 plus time) 

1. Go big with a full on total board restoration because it’s worthy of being brought back to life.

Thank you all for your help.

Also here is a picture of Dale from surfer magazine on this 9’ Yater board.

Hi billywillgo -

That board doesn't look that bad to me.  It's hard to tell how bad the deck is but I think I'd fix the whole thing up so it's solid and watertight.  I'm sure it would make a good rider for someone.

Kirk Putnam told me once that the little 'Y' (as seen below the logo) indicates that it was shaped by Yater himself. 

"1) It’s not worth putting ANY money into, throw it away.

2) It’s a cool old board so save it as is and stick it in a corner or hand it on a wall.

3) Fix the fin area on the bottom and strip and re-glass the deck. (spend roughly $100 plus time) 

1. Go big with a full on total board restoration because it’s worthy of being brought back to life."

None of those. Send it to me, I’ll take care of it.

i’m with john, fix the dings and leave it. The battle scars it has tell a story. Ride it, then get another one made for you, just like this one

https://swaylocks7stage.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/Renny%20with%20origianl%20Spoon%20in%20A+%20shape.jpg