What the Edge?

Has anyone experimented with a soft rail on the very edge of the tail while maintaining traditional hard edges on the sides? I know in theory a hard edge releases water cleanly with little turbulence which seems good, but I just wonder in practice how it would feel.

Note that I am familiar with the Coanda effect, as well as other basic physics principles.

Seems ripe for a removable/replaceable tail block and some testing…

Don’t know…
I roll that area…
Kinda helps riders on revert landings.

Very interesting. In the photo your side edges also look soft, do you put a hard edge in the side rails or is the whole thing rolled? If the side edges are hard, but the rear tail is rolled what are your riders reporting? Does it turn differently? Do you have any more pics? Thanks!

Hard for a groveller

It seems to me the hard edge there at the tail is to facilitate a “pivot” turn easier. Also it releases the water better than a soft edge that will tend to suck the water around it as in a noserider. In hard driving fast waves and carving turns it may not be so critical.

Since you pose the question; What would be your thoughts? What do you think the effect would be??

Have you gotten any feedback on this, I mean on the combination of a hard rail side edge with rolled rear tail edge? Any reports in terms of turning, speed, drive, hold etc? I imagine someone must have given some feedback on what is a very unusual design element?

Faster tight radius turns. Bite and hold on the hard side rail to set your arc and push against the water, but slide/rotate easier on the rolled tail edge. Imagine a pivot point somewhere near the front inside fin, and a lower drag/ low hold type release or slide point off the end of the tail facilitating an easier turn with less drag. Soft/rolled edges don’t bite and hold they just slide, but its hard to mind surf such things especially since hard edges release water cleaner.

Forgive me, just realized that,
that board was #1 of 2 grovellers two different shapes and rail set ups…
And #1 was a rail that I used in the 80’s for my personal boards and they do look a little different.
#2 was just hard w/ tucked edge.
#1 got great ride reports, heres some shots.
Got more of my heresy, if you like…

“Got more of my heresy, if you like…”
Guess I’ll close this out with this gem.
Don’t mess with the “shaka” on when to go hard.
This one was a step backwards!

…could be but if you do plenty of board like that within a few sessions all will be gauged there; plenty of dings if you do not have a hard edge there.

What I still really do not get it is why a gun have hard rails there

Hey Lowell,
Not messni’ with ya, cuz I know U know…
Been a hard rail guy all my life.
LB’s 63-67 Phil Edwards, Harbor Sol AKA knife rails, yeah?
#1 my rail “the razor” equal all the way around 69
#2 twisted Liddles arm 72
#3 my ride
I’m bored as shit.
"bout you?
Yeah I know my side lights are low and on the 2 due list
Moved the racks up, but my back, still kills me.

https://swaylocks7stage.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/Liddle%201972%207'-8%20Downrailer%20#5%20edge%20razorblade_1.jpg

I think you’ve got it figured out.

All of the Shortboards I do have a pretty hard edge at the tail. When I use a glasser I make sure they know a sharp rail is my preference. I had Bashams do some Shortboards for me a while back and the tail rail was just right. When I Glass myself I have to work hard to make sure I get that sharp edge. I’m way outta practice. But I’m sure I’ll get it dialed in pretty soon. I recently partnered up with a friend on a Glass shop and I’ve got about a dozen sitting waiting for glass. I have recently told a few illiterates up here that it isn’t a real Shortboard if you can’t see that line at the tucked edge thru the mid-section and feel a sharp edge at the tail. Of course as everyone says around here;’ “My 2 cents and IMHO”

@ ahausheeer
From GregTate a few weeks ago.
https://www.swaylocks.com/comment/547688#comment-547688
My guess is a rounded end of tail edge will cause turbulence. Turbulence creates…
EDIT:
Experiment…
https://www.swaylocks.com/comment/548455#comment-548455
https://www.swaylocks.com/comment/548483#comment-548483