What's your take on FCS FUSION PLUGS?

What do you guys think of the FCS Fusion Plug? Have you used it in PU or EPS? What do you think of the aesthetics after it’s installed? Do you think it’s a better system than their basic X-2 Plugs? We know some professional board builders that are using them.

We want your feedback!

Thanks-

Brad

Brad,

I’ve been using them in EPS and poly. Easy to install and have been plenty strong. They work very well for ding repairing pulled out FCS plugs where the surrounding area has been damaged. By the time you route out the peanut shape it usually clears out the damaged area. I’ve have also been replacing FCS plugs in EPS with them that were compromised from exotherm damage. Have done several brand new boards from “major” manufacturers with this problem. Also I think they are the lightest installed system out there.

BTW I miss getting to visit your biz as I’ve been retired for 2+ years now.

regards,

Dave D

The Fusion system was designed with EPS in mind but I’ve seen a lot used in PU. It’s very light (24 g), so it

helps minimize tail weight on really light boards. That also makes it good for those 5-box jobs. There’s some

pics of our installs over on the ‘‘Coil Ride Reports’’ thread. Ours are going into EPS, of course, and they’re

done in the bag, so our install is a good deal different than a hand-lam.

All feedback has been good, no failures or problems. They are a little hard for us to do, because our install

is dif, but in a hand-lam they are super easy.

What those guys said! I’ve done about 20 boards with them with good results. Great for repairs also. I think it was a major improvement. Jim

whoa now…spilling beans!

lams and box installs all in one fell swoop in the bag?

my mind just got blown…

Thanks for the info Dave. If you’re retired how come you can’t come and say hi? I thought being retired meant you have lot’s of spare time???

Hope to see you soon-

Brad

I have installed probably 10 sets now and think they are pretty good but they need to run the bump all the way trough so i don’t have to cut a slit in the middle of them and chase down air bubbles. If the did that I would be pretty impressed.

Brad,

When I was able to visit I was always in CA on business for the Marine Corps/Navy. We did a lot of work in Brea, Long Beach, Irvine and Pacoima. Some related to the V22 Osprey and everything else the Marines fly. Would love to make it back out there again.

Dave_D

Thinking out loud here - in pu I think it would be interesting to use the plugs in the sides and the fusion in the rear. This way you get the strength of the sides being glassed to the deck and you get a rear where you can move the fin fore and aft a bit. Possibly best of both worlds. Just a thought.

Foamies at the mouth, you guys are a total rip job on shipping, for a set of plugs you charge $27 US and then you try and charge an additional $120 US for postage to Australia and this is for something that could almost fit in an envelope.

You are whats wrong with surfing today money hungry!!! if you stop trying to profit on shipping you might make a profit from actually selling stuff. I checked on the USPS and Fedex sites and the most you would pay for the plugs to be sent from yourself to myself would be $40 and that’s registered priority international with tracking and insurance.You are trying to make an $80 profit from the shipping cost’s. I havn’t spelt you buisness name properly for legality but I’m sure you know who you are and hopefully the rest of the people on here will to. The rest of ya go have a visit of their site and have a look for yourself. I politly contacted them about the shipping costs but they dont reply they probably only reply when your stuffing money in there undies. You may think just buy them elswhere man well you cant get them from FCS and you cant get them anywhere in Australia these are the only people that sell them that i can find. If you know of anywhere that i can purchase the plugs please let us know.

Very Uncools people!!!

Quote:

but they need to run the bump all the way trough so i don’t have to cut a slit in the middle of them and chase down air bubbles.

i agree with girvin about the glassing the flange should run the whole length

forget about the footballs with poly …

Quote:

Foamies at the mouth, you guys are a total rip job on shipping, for a set of plugs you charge $27 US and then you try and charge an additional $120 US for postage to Australia and this is for something that could almost fit in an envelope.

You are whats wrong with surfing today money hungry!!! if you stop trying to profit on shipping you might make a profit from actually selling stuff. I checked on the USPS and Fedex sites and the most you would pay for the plugs to be sent from yourself to myself would be $40 and that’s registered priority international with tracking and insurance.You are trying to make an $80 profit from the shipping cost’s. I havn’t spelt you buisness name properly for legality but I’m sure you know who you are and hopefully the rest of the people on here will to. The rest of ya go have a visit of their site and have a look for yourself. I politly contacted them about the shipping costs but they dont reply they probably only reply when your stuffing money in there undies. You may think just buy them elswhere man well you cant get them from FCS and you cant get them anywhere in Australia these are the only people that sell them that i can find. If you know of anywhere that i can purchase the plugs please let us know.

Very Uncools people!!!

</blockquote></div>

get off the chronic!

you buy the boxes from fcs rep in australia they only sell with fins at about 69$ AU

the install kit is about 50$

try a phonebook before you start slagging off small business trying to make a living

make your own.

get Probox, the advanced replacement for FCS

Very Uncools people!!!

get off the chronic!

you buy the boxes from fcs rep in australia they only sell with fins at about 69$ AU

the install kit is about 50$

try a phonebook before you start slagging off small business trying to make a living

Hey Paul,

Maybe disgruntled can’t get them from a rep in Australia as word is that Fusion has been a disaster in Australia for heaps of reasons. So maybe the reps don’t push them? who knows?

So don’t be too hard on his shipping comments, for if true he is not “slagging off”

Confusion say " Good surfboard maker have sensitive nose for bullshit!"

Rocky

I’m with Girvin and the rest of these guys.

Installed them in all of my boards. Super easy! Only had one fail but it wasn’t because of the box, it was because I sanded too far.(duh)

Actually I take that back…it didn’t fail, just delamed around the box.

I don’t have the trouble with the air bubbles because of the cloth I use(it stretches)

I have actually heard of a couple guys installing them post glass, but I haven’t seen any done this way.

Patrick,

I find it interesting that you would consider side plugs stronger because they get glassed to the deck.

In most of my installs of the fusions, the sides are so close to the deck they might as well be glassed to it.

Not to mention that you actually have the strength of about two thirds more surface area in contact with the board.

Would you elaborate on your reasoning for this?

Please know…I’m not trying to start an argument or disrespect you in any way…I sincerely want to know.

Oh by the way all…after I finish with this last shipment of fusions…I am switching to ProBox exclusively.

Just my 1.874 cents

Mahalo

I get mine from Fiberglass Hawaii in Ventura. At least locally, they don’t mark up for shipping and handling at all.

Next day service too!

They seem to be the supplier on Swaylock’s that never gets mentioned, but they have great knowledgeable service.

its hard to get any plugs through your local rep unless you have a registered business. and then you have to order a minimum amount and they charge you plenty in shipping on top of that. they seem to like money in the undies too. it might be easier for you to go to a local shaper/business and buy some off him if you only need a few sets.

futures will look after you, just call them up and they will send them straight out for a very reasonable shipping cost.

hey rocky

getting anything from the states is usually expensive and painful experience

but you dont need to get fcs from the states

all you have to do is show the rep a few boards and whatever

then set up the account and order them and pay your bills on time :slight_smile:

jury still out on fusion for me

they are light strong and nice and thin

great for compsands

but a be-yarch to glass in poly IMO

So far so good.

Simple and strong cause they get capped.

Leave the board with more flexibility than boxes with great mass and more rigid material.

Stay Stoked, Rich

i’ve never used them…

they look sharp but i’ve never had reason to.

i’m just a backyarder and i still can’t find a reason

to use anything except:

http://proboxhawaii.com/