which polishing products do you use??

Hi everyone,
I like to hear your opinions about the different polishing products that you prefer
for compound, do you like the surfboard polish #2 ? is there better alternative?
and after the compound, which polish do you like? MeGuiars #7 or maybe #9? or maybe even 3m products?
would like to hear your choices.
oh, and do you use foam pad for the polish part or just go with the wool pad all the way trough?

thank you very much

HI Idan, are you using epoxy or polyester resin? Do you have to send away for polishing stuff or can you get it locally?

Hi man,
All of my boards are epoxy and I’m going to try few clear coats.
I cannot get anything locally, I’ll have to get it sent it over.

I once used 3m polish grey and pink, but i avoid the work now. My preference went from glossy to matte. Just wetsand with a sander with 200 and 400grit and the boards look fine for me. After the boards are waxed nobody cares for gloss. But I’m talking woodies no white or colored boards.
Its hard to get epoxy to a real glossy finish, anyway it has to be fully cured, real fully. It should take at least some days, or do some heat treatment. If its not really hardened, you will not get it glossy, no matter what finish you are using.

I use #7 in the rare instances where I have to polish something all the way out. I apply it lightly with a foam pad at low speed and then hit it with a wool bonnet at high speed.

This stuff has served all my needs on surfboards. Its inexpensive and works.

Yes #7’works and can be purchased anywhere. But day in and day out I use #2. It’s a pretty simple process just lay down a flat relatively thin Gloss coat, sand and rub it out with #2. If I don’t get swirl marks or scratches in previous steps that is all I need to do. No compound. If I get swirls or scratches I will use the “White” compound or “Perfect it” to remove them before I hit it with #2. Never use red compound. Use low speed on the sander. As Mako said you can make a final pass with a Wool Bonnet at higher speed, but pleas use caution when doing so. You can do a lot of automotive type things beyond what I have described, but for a nice Gloss on a longboard that’s going to be ridden and not a wall hanger; What I have described is plenty. Last time I bought a Five of #2 from Rev-Chem it was called Jose’s or Don Juan’s #2 or something like that.

PS— I am referring to Polyester. The best way to get a nice glossy finish on Epoxy is to spray it with an Automotive Clear Coat the way resinhead does. Otherwise you’ll never be able to buff out Epoxy to look as good as a Reichold Gloss Resin Gloss Coat.

Do you have link to the #2 I couldent find it on google.
So with this compound and with no.7 you dont need rubbing compound?
About the epoxy, lets say that I did automotive clearcoat, will u use the same polish compound?

Pretty much any supply place carries #2. Fiberglass Hawaii, Foam EZ, SUrf Source etc.

ditto