Who shaped my Velzy?

I was browsing through a bunch of older posts and that made me revisit a question I’ve always had about my Velzy. Maybe Barry or someone else can help me out… I bought Velzy #8514 from Malibu’s in OCMD about 5 years ago (probably October 1999). It’s not signed and I’ve always wondered who shaped it. It’s a beautiful board…yellow tint with one blue and one red pinline. I thought it was just called a “Classic” model, but maybe it’s actually a “New Traditional?” A photo of it is still on the longboard page of www.malibus.com. Any chance I can find out who did it? On a related note were Jim Phillips and/or Tommy Maus shaping for Velzy around '99? Thanks, Nilus p.s. Sorry…I guess I’m on a roll with the self-centered questions today.

if not the hawk then i uspect it was mr.phillips…

Very likely your board was finished shaped by Jim Phillips. Tommy Maus was not on board until a few years later. Jim Phillips had a true appreciation for Dale’s board designs and his style of shaping and felt a genuine responsibility to faithfully reproduce them. We were very fortunate to have had his assistance. I did not look your board up in my files but I did take a look at the Malibu’s site. Your board is a “Modern Classic.” It is slimmer through the hips than a “New Traditional” and has a slightly fuller nose and trim area. If you have any other questions, please send an e-mail and I will get back to you as quickly as I am able. Regards, Barry Jones (Formerly, Surfboards by Velzy)

Great! Mystery solved. Thanks for helping me out… Sincerely, Nilus

Resurrecting this old post… 

I found a 60’s Sportflite/Sears board… any idea who shaped these?  I read that Velzy may have ??  It’s 8’ 3" all FG