Whoa...

Not that Dale’s new protype mat isn’t totally cool (one of these days Dale…) Pierre’s new balsa/foam composite board finally showed up! Read his explanation on how he did it - it sounds like a lot of hard work and it turned out great.

Nevertheless I 've just started building boards because I’m eager to understand how it works and experiment. Also, the building technique I intend on using requires me to decide on each parameter (outline, rocker, rails, bottom and deck shape) right from the drawing board. With this technique I can pick the rocker I want but I can’t just shape it using my eyes and tools the way Noodle just said. Here’s the building process I used : 1. First I shaped a styrofoam core (recycled from an old epoxy/styrofoam sailboard) using a hand saw & surfoam : cut the outline and squared the rails. 2. I then glue on each rail a balsa plank (1 cm thick) that has been cut according to rocker line. I use a polyurethane yellow glue that dries using moisture within supports : it glues strongly and remains easily sandable. 3. Next I hotwire the deck and bottom rocker using the glued balsa as a guide. 4. With the two balsa “side stringers” the blank is now rigid enough to glue the top and bottom balsa planks (2 cm on top, 1 cm on bottom). 5. 3 cm more balsa is added on each rail as well as large tail and nose blocks 6. lots of sanding 7. Rails are then shaped using hand plane and sandpaper 8. Final sanding 9. Applied a water based sealant 10. Brought it to the glass shop (6+4 on top ; 6 on bottom - polyester) I’ve shaped my first (and only) board last december using this balsa/styrofoam sandwich technic. It took me nearly 50 hours … but I’m quite happy with the result : the balsa board looks great, it seems more dent proof and cost me less than if I had bought a foam blank !

Not that Dale’s new protype mat isn’t totally cool (one of these days > Dale…) Pierre’s new balsa/foam composite board finally showed up! Read > his explanation on how he did it - it sounds like a lot of hard work and > it turned out great. I think I forgot to mention the board weights about 5kg. With this building technic I could have made it lighter (4oz top and bottom instead of 6+4 and 4) but it’s for a kid and I thought this way it might prevent dings a bit more. Also, it may not show on the picture but I think I made the nose and tail a bit too thick. Pierre

I think I forgot to mention the board weights about 5kg. With this > building technic I could have made it lighter (4oz top and bottom instead > of 6+4 and 4) but it’s for a kid and I thought this way it might prevent > dings a bit more.>>> Also, it may not show on the picture but I think I made the nose and tail > a bit too thick.>>> Pierre Pierre the board looks insane. The patience it takes to do that kind of work, I wish I had!!! Keep it up. ed

Wow! that board looks great! 12 lbs is really light for a board that strong.>>> I think I forgot to mention the board weights about 5kg. With this > building technic I could have made it lighter (4oz top and bottom instead > of 6+4 and 4) but it’s for a kid and I thought this way it might prevent > dings a bit more.>>> Also, it may not show on the picture but I think I made the nose and tail > a bit too thick.>>> Pierre