wht do I need to know about getting a drill press

Now someone is going to ask what is a scorp.  Well I gotta go in and shave.

Dr. Phillips,

Your perscription is well taken.

I am slowly digesting the process

rereading is such a boon to my learning .

The procurement of my destined press

is slowly taking form and I hope

by the full moon to see the destined

Drill press.An aquaintance arrived

out of the blue with oppertunity

to aquire an 80’s 15’’ craftsman 

with sketchy wiring wants

to trade a blank or a 1/2 kit of r/r

I was calling $50.00 it’s on a

wood floor stand making  the work

surface about a foot off the ground.

hmmmm?

been cruising ebay for the primer

on value ,and tool reviews

on specific models.Have yet to see

my go to salvage  Sensei or mez

I believe in threes* and the right thing

coming easy with faith and vision.

thanks again all.

…ambrose…

I see this coming clearly soon. 

• rereading, I had written trees

instead of threes,odd automatic writing?..

I believe in trees…?

Trees are real.

Real trees are worth believeing in.

Real trees give many things and take nothing.

Treestapharians unite.

hard to believe its only seven months since

but the drill press came to me,after some confusing dead enders

serched through my threads watched to find this thread.

re read it and am now posting so I can re read over and over.

when I got it I made a fiberglass and epoxy rain hat to cover it.

when I get the chance I will post a picture.

A great adventure in 1 off mold fabrication…

found my forstner bits now I have to find

the chambering  process threads for  review.

stopped still at the bit zone in home depot the other day and pondered…

…ambrose…

oedered the spiral up cut bits.

…ambrose…

should arrive tomorrow…

Ha!

Keep the party rolling...

… 

Handy things, drill presses, especially ones like the radial Delta Rockwells. Add something like http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/vises/6-inch-cross-slide-vise-32997.html and you have almost a small milling machine, at least for non-metals.

hope that’s of use

doc…

Using a drill press as a milling machine is a quick way to ruin your bearings.  

Rule  # 1…don’t buy  chinese !

Amen! Finding a piece of good old Iron is easy in this market!

Which is why I wrote ‘almost a small milling machine’ - whittling very soft wood with sharp milling cutters ( as Ambrose was describing) isn’t gonna eat the bearings nearly as much as chewing through steel.

Granted, a small vertical mill would do a better job, but they start at around a half ton and are not that easy to find, especially cheap. Me, I’ve been looking for a Delta/Rockwell 21-100 vertical mill for some time, but the owners have this annoying tendancy to want to keep 'em.Can’t blame them, I like old iron myself.

doc…

What I will say is these products cost a lot in thousands… our main goal should be research more and more to save some bucks and get the good quality drill press that is durable, and fulfills our needs

I like the way Gene Cooper does his clambering with a router vs a drill press. There are some really good videos on line if you do a search for them.

Drill press goes up and down, but not sideways. Router goes sideways, but not really up and down.

I have both. If you want to come to my shop and use either, drop me a p.m.

Santa Barbara area

A cheap drill press is like pouring money down the drain …they will let you down and become a pain the arse to use . US made or German made is a better deal , even if it costs more …for chambering balsa , hard to go past a set of forstners . A template for a plunge router is also good system for chambering , and can be done using yer normal shaping stands.

Spiral bits (shearcut) cut clean as a whistle and smooth as a baby’s bum…also use less power to drive , and less stress on bearings etc

If you’ll want to be drilling metal the drill press needs to run slow, slow, slow. I’ve had both good, old Craftsman, and poor quality, unknown name, the old Craftsman ran slow, I don’t know how it was set up for slow. The no name had the belt set up for slow but was still way too fast, it would need different pulley stacks to change the gearing to slower, too hard to find different pulley stacks.

I have a couple horsepower table model (just like the floor model but the leg is shorter). I have it on a table with wheels so I can take the drill to the piece (handy when you’re drilling a series of holes in 1/2" thick I beams).

But the point of this post is to recommend a drill sharpener. I use a Drill Doctor. Worth every penny. Resharpens bits in minutes and gets those spirals peeling off steel. Reshapes broken bits, too. best $'s I spent in my shop. Oh yes, lots of cutting oil to keep the tip cool.

One of my first jobs was running a CNC flame cutter and I had to drill pilot holes for cutting into 3" (75mm)and 6" (150mm) steel plate using a portable Milwaukee drill press with the magnetic base. +1 on the sharp bits and cutting oil.