Wife's Longboard

Thanks for the help/responses on fin help for wife’s longboard. I didn’t know those flex fins were a thing until then - unfortunately we swung by a sirf shop that day and grabbed a generic profile one for her. See how it goes and pick up one recommended if needed.

Anyway here it is all done. This was my first foam shaping experience - only wooden hollow boards with purchased plans. This one I designed on BoardCAD and shaped on a 9’3"Y US Blank. It’s 8’8" x 23 x 2 7/8 with a tri-plane bottom. Really enjoyed the shaping process and had fun with the wife glassing it. She did the color work - turned out more pink than she wanted up top - was going for peach. Funny as when mixed it was very peach and under my shaping room lights it is peach, but as soon as it hits outdoor lighting it goes pink. Perhaps because I used RR CE with the blue hue?

Oh forgot… it’s been curing for a few days now and the top and bottom have developed a milky appearance. Is that blush? I’ve never had a blushing epoxy but have read about it… Does Resin Research blush then? Thanks… going to get in the archives to see how to clean it off

Very nice shape for a first time out with foam. Mine always seem ‘chunky’ in retrospect.

Could you show us a close-up of a milky section please?

Thanks Jrandy. I’ll probably build wooden ones every now and then, but I really love shaping so glad I did it. 

I was really concerned about the rails until finished. I was scared they weren’t thick enough. I intentionally wanted them thinner than “normal” being my wife is only 130lbs. I didn’t want her to struggle with too much foam/float - hence the narrower nose etc… That said I really kind of like them now. Pretty knifey but I kinda like it. That said, we haven’t tried it yet so we’ll see how it surfs. Learning process here. 

I’ll get a picture up later if what might be the blushing for input. 

back to the room shaping my second!

So are you saying the board has a “milky” or “cloudy” appearance?  Both sides? Top and Bottom?  At what point in the process did you first notice it?  Or did it show up after you finished the board?

It might be difficult to see but I didn’t my best to capture it. It almost looks like a soapy film on top. 

I didn’t notice it on the lam and got coat but noticed it once the gloss coat cured. 

I used RR with the recommended amount of additive F. 

it isn’t horrible but definitely there. I’ve used RAKA and silvertip in the past and never experienced this. They both dried crystal clear. 

thanks

Yeah I don’t know what RAK or Silver Tip is, so can’t speak to whatever that is…  But a lam, fill coat and a finish coat with or without Additive F in Resin Research,  should not be a problem.