Wildy's fins .....

for those who came in late , he [Greg Wild] sent me these fins quite a while back. I loved them , and had a really fun surf on them …until one broke , unfortunately.

I might have to give making ones like this a go , some time in the future .

I have foam…

outline

foil … [the inside edge is the BOTTOM edge , in this photo]

Greg , if you are there , and if it is not giving away any trade secrets or anything …would you mind ‘talking’ us through how you made these side fins , please ?

cheers mate !

ben

tip to base view

bump, lets hear it! These look really interesting.

yes…

Greg ?

you there ?

[I sent him a pm , nathan , letting him know about this thread ]

cheers

ben

hi chip, interesting shape, one of the local board makers in newquay uses a shape almost the same for his personal boards and that of his friends ,none have gone back to regular fins , all say the boards go better,i have thought about making something similar myself,interesting to hear how wildy arrived at the shape ,pete

I’m here, but pressed for time just now.

I’ll get back to you as I plan on making some new ones soon.

4wfs do two similar fins, the F16 and the F22, both with the double foil with similar cross-section to Wildys with the concave on the inside of the trailing edge.

Currently using the F16.

So far like them best as the rear in a quad setup with conventional shape in the front. Getting the bigger F22’s to try them as front in the quad setup.

Quote:
4wfs do two similar fins, the F16 and the F22, both with the double foil with similar cross-section to Wildys with the concave on the inside of the trailing edge.

Currently using the F16.

So far like them best as the rear in a quad setup with conventional shape in the front. Getting the bigger F22’s to try them as front in the quad setup.

Looks cool, made a bunch like that before I figured out why the tip on a surfboard fin is extended rearward…you can definitely surf with less tip at the expense of hold…

Have to agree with you on that point Blakestah, but only when you are using one fin.

With forward rear multi fin setups, it’s the combination of both forward and rear fins that give you the hold and drive.