Wing position

I’m considering putting wings on a swallow-tail egg (6’) I’m going to make. The dimensions are 15" n, 21" m, and 15" t. How far from the tail are the wings usually cut and what’s a good length for those breaks? Does anyone have strong feelings about the performance of wings on a board? Is there really much of a difference? Thanks.

Cut them in 1/4" off the rail. I normally cut my wings in at 2" up from the trailing edge of the fins although I’ve seen many variations on this measurement across different boards. Some guys cut wings right at the trailing edge, some go behind the trailing edge, etc… Wings break the outline and create a pivot point. They also look pretty darn cool, I’d say go for it. Just my two cents. Kirk

Cut them in 1/4" off the rail. I normally cut my wings in at 2" up from the trailing edge of the fins although I’ve seen many variations on this measurement across different boards. Some guys cut wings right at the trailing edge, some go behind the trailing edge, etc… Wings break the outline and create a pivot point. They also look pretty darn cool, I’d say go for it. Just my two cents. Kirk

Wings on a swallowtail will do two things more than anything else. First they will give the board more bite and increase how positive the tail of the board is. Thus the board will drive extremely well. Second it will allow you to carry more width through the middle and quarter sections of the board, which will give the board more floation. I have a Freeline winged swallow that was shaped back in '75. It’s a wide relaxed rockered thing with the wide point forward of center and lots of meat in the nose, sort of an old school fish. The board is really fun and does well in a variety of conditions and handles critical wave sections very well. I prefer to surf it with three fins because of the extra drive the center fin gives… Several of my young friends like it better as a twin particularly in small beach break waves. It’s good to have the choice of several different fin set-ups. So take that into consideration when you make those appointments. As far a wing placement I like to them right behind the trailing edge of the rail fins. If you really want to ultimate word on winged surfboards Ben Aipa is the man IMHO. He doesn’t frequent Swaylocks so you’d have to go straight to the source. Mahalo, Rich

Wings on a swallowtail will do two things more than anything else. First they will give the board more bite and increase how positive the tail of the board is. Thus the board will drive extremely well. Second it will allow you to carry more width through the middle and quarter sections of the board, which will give the board more floation. I have a Freeline winged swallow that was shaped back in '75. It’s a wide relaxed rockered thing with the wide point forward of center and lots of meat in the nose, sort of an old school fish. The board is really fun and does well in a variety of conditions and handles critical wave sections very well. I prefer to surf it with three fins because of the extra drive the center fin gives… Several of my young friends like it better as a twin particularly in small beach break waves. It’s good to have the choice of several different fin set-ups. So take that into consideration when you make those appointments. As far a wing placement I like to them right behind the trailing edge of the rail fins. If you really want to ultimate word on winged surfboards Ben Aipa is the man IMHO. He doesn’t frequent Swaylocks so you’d have to go straight to the source. Mahalo, Rich