wipe on acrylic finish issues

whats everyone’s favorite way to apply the stuff? ive tried a few different things like sponges, paper towels, cloths etc. My one big gripe with this stuff is i always get these hard grainy feeling zits after a couple of coats are put down. Is this dust built up and hardened when the acrylic dries? does anyone else get these. how should i deal with them?

I use these: https://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-terry-cloth-staining-pads-46166.html
Use of the pads and the amount of wipe-on is something you get a feel for after a few tries. Make sure you spread it around quickly because in such thin coats it dries fast. As soon as you are done wiping on, rinse out the sponge in fresh water so no acrylic cures and hardens the sponge.
You can buff out any zits using Scotch Brite Maroon pads followed by Grey.

Thanks! Anyone else have any reccomendations? I have been rubbing them out on the orbital with a green scotchbrite…but im not the biggest fan of the more satin/matte look it gives the boards.
Ive seen where people will buff out the spray on speed finish products, which from my understanding are very similar to the wipe on formulas. Anyone ever buffout the acrylic wipe on finishes?

Yeah - do it just like a normal gloss coat but use the slower setting on your polisher. Easy to burn through.

Jamie is correct. The Scotchbrite pad burnishes the finish. Levels it and evens the shine. Lowel

Sponge mop pads from the 1.00 store
they are like 12" wide so you can do 1 pass per side. Not only is it a time saver, but its easier to get a consistent finish.

Green scotch brite is too course. Maroon is what you want to use, followed by grey. Won’t be glossy but it’s a nice velvety satin finish.

Yes wider is better. I remember the days when I would go into Fiberglass Hawaii Santa Barbara and Maui; They would repackage floor sealer in plastic Boston Bottles and label it “Secret Sauce”. Lowel

Levels right out too. Most guys just lay the pad under their Orbital, but I spray adhesive and cut it to fit my very old blue Ryobi. You can see the difference as you go. Lowel

Do you need to tape off fin boxes before application, or do you lay down such a thin coat it’s not necessary?

I never tape em off

You can get the Scotch Brites (or Mirka Brand, same colors, same grit) in 6" circle shapes and they stick perfectly to Velcro-hook faced Ferro pads (or any hook faced pad).

Hey, I thought it went maroon - green then finest is grey?

Maroon is Very Fine and Grey is Ultra Fine. Green is for doing dishes.

Heres some info i found online

500 grit
7448 - Light Grey, called Ultra Fine Hand - (600-800) 800 grit.
6448 - Green (?), called Light Duty Hand Pad - (600) 600 grit
7447 - Maroon pad, called General Purpose Hand - (320-400) 320 grit
6444 - Brown pad, called Extra Duty Hand - (280-320) 240 grit
7446 - Dark Grey pad, called Blending Pad (180-220) 150 grit
7440 - Tan pad, called Heavy Duty Hand Pad - (120-150) 60(?)
Green Scotch Brite is available EVERYWHERE. It’s 600 grit.
Blue Scotch-Brite is considered to be about 1000 grit.
(The value inside the parentheses is directly from 3M.)
3M Chart

Scotch Brite Pad Table

But after you’ve used them to scrub pots and pans for a month or so they get nice and soft.