womens board revisted

heres what i have gathered a board that is thicker and wider in the tail catches waves easier then a board that is not.

i made a template for an 7’10 mini longboard but i put the wide point 2 inches ahead of center. its 21 3/4 the girl i am shaping it for is very broad through the shoulders and i thought putting it ahead of center was a good idea. but she says that her biggest problem is her ability to catch waves.

so should i leave the wide point where it is and make the tail a little thicker or should i move it back and keep it a normal thickness.

any help would be great. i like the dimensions i have, but am concerned that the board i am building wont fit her needs.

thanks brian

I believe a shaper should know how his customers surf, so most of the questions are answered in the memory bank.

If she doesn’t surf often, she can use a wider tail like a squash or WP back, but it takes more skill to turn and to avoid pearling.

If she just hasn’t been surfing long, and is a weak paddler, then a normal funboard like your current plan is good, she just needs more daze.

Remember, you are always trying to balance a ton of variables. Better paddling means worse surfing. Early wave catching almost always means more chances of pearling on late takeoffs, and also more pressure and better placement of the feet when surfing.

As in any case when discussing board shape ideas, need to know height, weight, less of surfing, frequency of surfing, and where surfing before any meaningful suggestions can be given.

ok shes 5’4 5’5 140 and surfs on a weekend basis for most of the year but surfs a lot during the summer. she spends most of her time surfing beach breaks ie cocoa beach.

when she does catch waves she surfs really well, but she gets frusterated becasue here wave count is real low. right now she rides an 8’0 hamish grahman fun board thats like 17 1/2 by 22 1/2 by like 15. its a rip curl board. it looks nice but kind of rides like crap. i pretty much have everything else figured out but i want to build a board that focuses on wave count rather than a performer.

thanks brian

I’d borrow her board for you reference one night, and really look at profile, template, thickness and rails.

Then bias the mass towards the tail much more than her board.

Can’t imagine an 8’er being hard to catch waves.

Keep the tail block, from 18" up to tail, as narrow as possible, especially the actual tail, so the board can sit nose high on late takeoffs.

Make it like an old Morey Camel, or current McCoy Nugget.

Seems to me that your talking about going narrower and pushing wide point forward, which seems to be contradictory to your goals. Wide point forward is going to reduce outline curve in the back half and reduce the ability for the tail to rise and the nose to drop during take-off.

If you can paddle her current 22.5" board I’d not go narrower. I’d think make the tail just a little wider and thicker than her current board. If she does not have perling issues maybe go a step further and thin the nose thickness a little to help the drop a little during takeoffs.

Most of the web sites I have read about Wahine boards talk about increasing tail rocker to enable easier turning from trim location, but I guess that is a little contrary to wave entry.

Keep us posted, I for one am very interested in design issues to make a better board for the women surfer.

I second LeeDD on the nugget I made my girlfriend one a year ago and she loves it. She likes to feel safe so duckdiving and overall board control was an issue along with being able to fit the dern thing under her arm (she’s 5’0" and 100lbs). She surfs mostly beachbreak around HMB area. It seems that design board thinks it’s a lot bigger than it is on the take off, but loosens down the line. That being said, not catching waves on an 8’0" even a piece of junk sounds a little strange.

ok so after lots of research i have decided to build a double ender with a little more tail rocker and flip the nose up a little more. this way it paddles easy and takes of well in a beach break. still my only questions is where should i put the wide point on this bad boy, oops bad girl. the board i built like this before had its mass a little ahead of center should i keep it this way or move it back.

Nuggets volume and mass well back of center.

They don’t draw the longest lines, or project the farthest, but they paddle well and easily catch waves early, and are quick to turn to avoid pearling.

You could copy a worse design.

A beginner isn’t going to get many waves on a low floation board, especially if it’s normally 2-3’ mush. At 140 lbs, I bet mostly foam rides on the inside. I never start anyone on less than 9’ and 3-1/2 thick. Women’s boards are a lot like those for pre-teen kids. The different part is most pre-teen kids are less than 100 lbs, so they can start on shorter boards. Smaller hands = low rocker, flat bottom for more paddling speed. Smaller feet = narrower tail + rocker for easier control. Let her try something that’s very easy to get adjusted to paddling, timing, and takeoff. Trying to come up with a custom shape for a transitory skill level is kinda tough. Sometimes it’s easier to rent or borrow various shapes and sizes to match the level of progress.

I’m confused by this thread. I thought it was pretty common knowledge that wide point back = better turning, wide point forward = better drive & projection up the face. But I’m reading a bit of the opposite.

I’d go with wide point back 3" or so. Squash tail with barely any vee. You want the rounder curve of the template on the back end so when you’re surfing off the back half of the board, its like surfing a shorter board. But a longer nose helps with a bit of paddling speed, etc. Just think about it as if you’re making a 7’4" or so and then stretch out the nose to get the length you want. That’ll turn & catch waves all she wants, but overall will feel enough like her current board that she’ll be comfortable.

Thickest point can be at center, not at the WP. That way, she’ll get flotation under her chest but it won’t affect the turning. That particular flotation is more for paddling than actual wave catching…

that makes a lot of sense benny, keeping the wide point a few inches back of center but keeping the thickest par of the board at the center thats such an easy concept but i dont think i would have ever thought of it. with the current template i had focused on float not on wave catching ability. i think that this soulution was the answer i was looking for.now its back to the drawing board this weekend i will let you know what i come up with and i will try and post the template.

thanks