Wood veneer

Seeing Paul Jensen’s beautiful hollow wooden board made me want to attempt to build one myself. Once the plywood “box” is built, I was thinking about covering the deck and bottom with wood veneer (instead of 1/8" wood strips). The only type of veneer I can find next to where I live comes in 8’ rolls and is precoated with glue. The wood is then glued using a standard iron. Can I use this to cover my board ? As anybody tried this type of veneer before ? Will the glue be strong enough ? Pierre http://mascaretgironde.free.fr/index_uk.html

…Iron on veneers will work fine…I use them all the time on cabinets and stairs… The glue strength is more than adequate… Paul>>> Seeing Paul Jensen’s beautiful hollow wooden board made me want to attempt > to build one myself. Once the plywood “box” is built, I was > thinking about covering the deck and bottom with wood veneer (instead of > 1/8" wood strips). The only type of veneer I can find next to where I > live comes in 8’ rolls and is precoated with glue. The wood is then glued > using a standard iron. Can I use this to cover my board ? As anybody tried > this type of veneer before ? Will the glue be strong enough ?>>> Pierre

But Paul… Most wood veneer is really thin…around 1/32". Don’t you think the deck will buckle? Unless of course he uses an insane amount of glass. I just think he could end up putting a heel throught the deck! I’ve used door skin…usually comes in a few different woods and is a cross-grain glue up like plywood is. It’s quite strong and takes up wood stain really nice. Just my $.02 worth. Dee

But Paul…>>> Most wood veneer is really thin…around 1/32". Don’t you think the > deck will buckle? Unless of course he uses an insane amount of glass. I > just think he could end up putting a heel throught the deck! I’ve used > door skin…usually comes in a few different woods and is a cross-grain > glue up like plywood is. It’s quite strong and takes up wood stain really > nice.>>> Just my $.02 worth.>>> Dee I meant to use the veneer to decorate. Underneath the veneer, you’ll find 1/8" plywood. The inside “skeleton” itself would include wood ribs each 6 or 8 inches. I’ll then just laminate with 4oz on each side. I hope that would be strong enough, I still need to think it over, this is a longterm project (wintertime activity !)… Anyway I’ll try to see if I can find door skin in my area, thanks for the tip, it seems like a good idea. Pierre http://mascaretgironde.free.fr/index_uk.html