xps vs eps

apology for my english, I’m italian

what’s more flexible between xps and eps?

tnx

Xps

Sorry, I dont understand

What’s not to understand? You asked a direct question and a glassing expert gave you a direct response.

If you’re asking about his tagline below "“Get out of the library and into the lab”, that is just a tagline that appears under all his posts. It’s not specific to you or your question.

If you think of stiffness modulus, depend density. But from manufacturer mechanical charcteristics list, at same density xps is stiffer than eps. Even more for lighter density. If you think of elongation to break xps is sometimes better depend of density too and cohesion of eps beads.

I agree with Lemat. XPS feels stiffer than EPS. Based on using Dow blue XPS foam.
EPS feels livelier than XPS, but I think my XPS boards are lighter. Probably because the resin isn’t absorbed as much when you laminate it.
I think EPS will flex more before breaking than XPS. Again it’s probably because resin doesn’t adhere to the foam the same way.

xps is more flexible?

This is interesting. I’ve never used XPS. Unlikely to. But “often” ready to learn.

I’m probably only going to use it as a rail band for future compsand builds.
The only thing it has over other foam is it doesn’t absorb water.

So, several different opinions here. So, at the same density XPS seems stiffer than EPS? Or it’s the other way around?

Last xps blank I built the 2" thick stuff had a measured density of 1.7lbs/ft^3, and the 1/2" sheets were 2.5lbs/ft^3. So I used the thin sheet on the deck. In the end it was a POS but I don’t blame the foam. To make matters worse, eps also comes in many densities…

I’ve made at least 10 XPS boards, some were cut from a single 3" thick slab and some were cut into rocker slices to get more rocker, then glued up to get the width. I add a single 1" wide band around the outline when I do rocker slices to get a cleaner rail. I’ve made these boards up to 8’ which is the length of the foam I get.