yardsale find - winged swallowtail

Good Job!

Huck

that’s not a “stinger” more like classic wing swallow from the day

Here’s a couple we had in the 70’s one’s a T&C pang and one’s my favorite custom from Iggy.

here’s a modern version on the right i got in the early 2000’s from brewer. it was too thick at 3.5" for a 6’6" but he blended the lines better.

the stingers were made by Ben and had a big ol single fin box where Larry and the boys would slide their fins all the way up.

The only way you could ride them was if you had that take a dump squatting wide stance with your a** 6 inches off the board.

This was way different than the stance we had riding our beak nose pin tailsthat’s what started the whole manuever aspect of surfing with buttons, larry and all their cohorts like michael ho taking over breaks with big ben. The only one i remember surfing that way prior to the stinger was reno and isaac tanaka in the late 60’s early 70’s. Paul Strauch was the man before then.

not alot of history in that board from what i can see…

clean it up patch the dings and pass it on

nothing  more precious in this world than creating a smile…

oh yea as far as the twist, give it to someone who rides in the twist’s drection right GT?

I'm surprised DS hasn't caught this one yet, but he's probably too busy shaping SVMs.

Glad someone else points out that it's not a stinger - that's just a high wing. Stinger would be much further up; and as oneula also points out, an almost impossible board to ride.

Maybe they require counterbalance in the form of a big kinky afro to ride correctly?

Don't tell Mark Liddell he needed a 'fro :-)

OK, I got a lot of good answers, and I mulled it all over, and decided: I'm going to (try to) surf it.  I'm not going to modify it.  I'm not spending a lot of time and money refurbishing it.  I do want to give it a face lift.  I am trying to lose weight and get in shape - running a mile a day, but at 57 yrs old and 175, the weight clings like a drowning man to a life preserver, hah!

So this is what I decided: a poor man's quick and dirty refurb - sand it, spackle, paint, and glass it using whatever scraps and leftovers I could dig up.  I built the tail tips back up with glass and re-shaped it.  The rail lap is really a "faux" rail lap, using small scraps of 4 oz. I had saved for ding repairs.  The deck patch is the largest piece of 4 oz. I could find in my inventory.  The rest of the deck is 2 oz. 

I haven't glassed the bottom yet, but I plan on using 2 oz. on the bottom as well.  I figure, no need for heavier glass, its already been glassed once!

haha, … exception to the rule? =)

Board looks good Huck!

I believe in you, you can ride it!

Just try to be light on your feet and quick.

[quote="$1"]

Board looks good Huck!

I believe in you, you can ride it!

Just try to be light on your feet and quick.

[/quote]

thanks - I used to could ride a 5-11

unfortunately, sometimes the mind will go where the body cannot follow...

hahahaha - wait 'til you're 57 my laddie, you'll look at longboards in a whole new light!

I'm gonna try - but man, I hate kooking out while all the young punks around me are getting waves!

one meal a day [no not a huuge one !] and 5 surfs a week , minimum ...

you will be down to 11 stone [154lbs/ 70kgs] before you can say ... " geeez , WHY didn't I do this YEARS ago ?!"

and you will be able to ride it well , then , no worries . assumption is that you are around 5'10 ...if you are 5'2 , this may not be so easy ...

just thank me later with resin and cloth , huckleberry ...

so then I can do some more [?'glo' in the dark ? ] fin panels , for 'you guys' to make fins out of , at big sur , if it ends up being 'no sur[f] ', this year ?!

cheers !

ben