Yellow plus Blue makes Green?

good on you !

thanks a lot for posting those Kai !!

GREAT to see it , finally ! [I hope <span style=“font-style:italic”>my</span> next panel doesn’t take a month ]

So, will you be having the screw tab at the back of the fin , by the looks ?

I look forward to seeing photos of it tabbed and pinned , and fit into a [?bahne?] box …and , the board it is going in , of course ?

cheers mate !

ben

Yeah… I’m not sure. I know originally I had planned to have the screw in the front and the swivel in back so I could use break away tabs. Not sure now though. ATM it’s 2 inches too wide!!!

Don’t ask me…

hi Kai !

…would you consider straightening out the back edge curve by 3" , and moulding a base on the fin , mate ?

cheers ,

ben

I might have to. I went with this shape because of some pics of some Greenough fins on that surf history site. I just really like the front and back curve.

I think I might have been thinking I could have some overhang…

Oh wait, if i do put the swivel on the front of the fin I could slide the fin into the notch and let the back overhang by 2 inches. But then I’d have to worry about where to put the screw hole. Yeah, I’ll probably have to cut it.

if the thickness of the base is right to fit in the fin box ??

…is it ??

THEN , you could fairly easily reshape the leading edge of the fin , so you could incorporate the screw tab at the front .

And , cut into the back of the base at least 3" or so , so you have overhang out the back of the box as well , yes … but , also , so you have at least 1" of forwards and backwards movement of the fin in the box , too [the whole idea , to me , of having a finbox , in the first place !]

option three …buy a longer fin box !

hope this helps !

ben

[how long IS the base of that fin , by the way ? …it looks massive , to me ?!]

12 inches baby. Do you like?

It’s not cut to thickness yet, I’ll have to shave a little off. It’s 2" longer than the box.

A fin box also allows you to swap out different fins though. And I like the look of the base. I’m sure it’s probably not as good as modern designs but it’s the look that counts right? And I can always swap it out.

" 12 inches baby. Do you like? "

how deep is the “fin” , if the base on that single keel is 12 " [??!!]

any idea what size board you will be using it in , and what size waves you will be riding ?

…that is one HUGE base ! [Unless you have set out to make a single keel board , of course]

With a 12" finbox [already a big finbox , really , in any board under 7’ [just my opinion , others may disagree] an eight inch base would already be huge / “large”. But with a tab , there would still be at least 2 1/2" or more of movement for the fin , in the box …handy if you are unsure of where to put the fin for various waves , or have not used a finboxed board before .

I don’t know if you would want to buy a 15" finbox , so you can move that fin around ??? But, to me anyway , reshaping at LEAST 4-5" off the base , so you will gain at least 4" movement forewards and back in the box , will allow much more versatility , and possibly a better performing fin and board (depending on your skill level , of course )

anyway , these are just my thoughts / feelings / impressions / experience … of course you are welcome / free [hopefully !] to take them or leave them , for what they are worth…

cheers ,

ben

…now it’s time for me to go out to “Grant’s garage”, to …yep , you guessed it ! …go and lay up a fin panel of my own . Seeya later , on the 'net !

About a foot deep, 19 inches tip to nose.

For now I’ll try it on my only board, my 10’, and it will probably be nice on a SUP board if I make one. Probably does need a 15 inch box. If I can cut back the tab some I can still get some movability but I’d probably need an extra long screw eh? I dunno. I still haven’t messed with it.

" 12 inches baby. Do you like? "

how deep is the “fin” , if the base on that single keel is 12 " [??!!]

any idea what size board you will be using it in , and what size waves you will be riding ?

…that is one HUGE base ! [Unless you have set out to make a single keel board , of course]

With a 12" finbox [already a big finbox , really , in any board under 7’ [just my opinion , others may disagree] an eight inch base would already be huge / “large”. But with a tab , there would still be at least 2 1/2" or more of movement for the fin , in the box …handy if you are unsure of where to put the fin for various waves , or have not used a finboxed board before .

I don’t know if you would want to buy a 15" finbox , so you can move that fin around ??? But, to me anyway , reshaping at LEAST 4-5" off the base , so you will gain at least 4" movement forewards and back in the box , will allow much more versatility , and possibly a better performing fin and board (depending on your skill level , of course )

anyway , these are just my thoughts / feelings / impressions / experience … of course you are welcome / free [hopefully !] to take them or leave them , for what they are worth…

cheers ,

ben

…now it’s time for me to go out to “Grant’s garage”, to …yep , you guessed it ! …go and lay up a fin panel of my own . Seeya later , on the 'net !

About a foot deep, 19 inches tip to nose.

For now I’ll try it on my only board, my 10’, and it will probably be nice on a SUP board if I make one. Probably does need a 15 inch box. If I can cut back the tab some I can still get some movability but I’d probably need an extra long screw eh? I dunno. I still haven’t messed with it.

okay …

…time for the six months later update , please , Kai !

Did you ever end up tabbing it , and getting it the right base length and thickness for the finbox ???

If so…

HOW did it ride , mate ?

cheers Kai !

ben

Nope, but it still looks pretty sitting on the table :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey, the other day I actually drew a line on my eps blank. That’s progress. 1 line in probably 3 months.

so , shall i ask you every WEEK , instead , if you have done anything on the fin , like the Auslocks Board update thread ??

come ON man , how long does it TAKE you to shave off a bit of fin , and drill two holes ?

…sigh…

ben