1971 Surfer Mag Discovery

Aloha Bill,.

Yep, I remember them being Lexan.

Aloha, Randy

Still looking for a little help.     Anyone?

Bill Take some photos of the fins you sstill have and post them.  

Artz, at present I can’t access my photo’s.      Having an internal computer glitch.    When I solve it, I’ll post some photo’s.

Found that issue. October 1971. I included the pic of Jack O’Neill, for the hell of it. This was around the time when he introduced the Supersuit, which was basically the first all-in-one fullsuit invented for surfing. It had a water tight shoulder zip with brass teeth.

So, Bill T’ s fins, and Jack in an inflated suit

Sammy,

Thank you for the effort of hunting that issue down.     I appreciate it, very much.

Bill

You’re welcome, Bill.

And, Happy New year.

I thought I’d include the O’Neill part just for comic effect and historical context.

Bill, do you have any more of those fins and boxes?

I’d love to give 'em a try.

That is some surfboard history right there.

Much respect.

That’s so cool.

Yes, I still have several dozen of the fins.       The ‘‘box’’ is molded into a routed slot in the board, after hotcoat and before sanding, using a male plug.     The fins can also be fitted into a finished/used board too.     Just needs a little skill and care.    I also have one pair of the canted fins, from 1971.    I explored many different paths, when developing the system.    I always enjoy ‘‘going in, where no others have been.’’

Bill

Bumped up, for educational purposes, and documentation.

Bill, years ago you had a seminar about board design and Les Waddell sent me these photos and it’s how I learned about the twingle.

So 10 1/2” Tail and sidebites set back at the center box and at the rear of the the box.  Would you still consider those measurements and placement relative to current boards and design?  I’m referencing boards at least the length of the one in your pics.  Not 5’8 wide tail Simmons style boards.

Look at the little fins along the end of the tail.

Rail fins are interesting too…

Yeah, there is a guy up here who puts on rail fins.  Super Glues them so that if you don’t like them, you can break them off.)

The reason Simon Anderson’s Thruster set up worked is because he had the good sense to realize he needed to reduce the size and volume of ALL three fins.  That the outside fins needed to be placed closer to the rail and foiled only on one side.  Not to mention that he changed up the placement on All three fins.  There was a bit of evolution in that surfboards went from smaller single fins to twin to three fin thrusters.  The placement in the first two influence the eventual placement of the Thruster setup.  The biggest thing he did at the time was to not use a Bahne Box.  Thereby eliminating drag and weight.  Once this setup caught on necessity became the “mother of invention”. And people like O’Fishl, Futures and FCS came along.  anderson and Nectar did not Patent the Thruster nor TM “Thruster”.

I stumbled across this the other day. 

Angle limits box visibility but the fins look like Bill’s.  (Board even kinda looks like a broom tail)

It’s not the same board, but it IS a full blown copy.       When was that ad published?      And where?       Seems I had more influence than I realized.

The board in the pic, is 7’ 10’’ x 21’’ wide, to a 10 1/2 inch BroomTail.       The design easily handled 12 foot WindanSea.       High in the lip, or in hard bottom turns.       Stable everywhere in the wave.

I think the guy was saying 70/71 but he wasn’t quite sure. 

What mag I’m not sure. 

Well, I had never seen that ad before.      Then again I didn’t buy or read the mag’s, unless they sent me an advertizers copy.        Center fin is an FU black fiber filler lexan fin.     Sides are not the PressLock fins, but are similar copies.       Side boxes are longer than the ‘‘boxes’’ that I molded into boards, during glassing.      Thank you for ferreting that out.