1971 Surfer Mag Discovery

Here’s an excerpt from my book about stick on side fins.

Bing

Them is the one’s Bing.

In this clip both Crawford and Rhodes were using some very small glued on sidebites. If you look close you can see them on the bottom of Marc’s board just before he paddles out. You can also see them on some of the turns.

These were very small circular bites foiled on one side, flat on the other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcnfhPNUPrU

I had forgotten about this until I was rereading this thread.

** Bill… this is awesome! That tail is a spot on Stoker V tail of today, 'cept 40 YEARS ahead. Luv it luv it luv it. The tail also looks like the early 70’s Bahne twin fin tailblocks. My first tri fins were those stick on ones I put on a 7’0" Bradbury round pin about 70-71 because I was livng at Zunzal’s and was spinning out in the flat spts oof triple overhead waves. **

**They stayed on just long enough to indicate they were working. I had tried them in the forward of center fin position, and we had a couple quarts of resin, so we layed up a fin sheet on waxed tile of our porch and cut them out, then filed the foil in with a 4 way file. They were 4" half domes, pretty ugly and basic…but they worked. I wish I had known of your brainchild back then! :O…DS

Deadshaper,

Those are some very kind, and flattering words.    I certainly appreciate such a compliment from someone with your background. I especially liked the ''40 YEARS ahead.'' comment.     Made my head swell up so fast, I got a headache!    Thank you.

Please be careful navigating door ways for awhile… we want you around for a long long time. :slight_smile:

When I was living in Leucadia with my head in a cloud of smoke and hair down to my azz I put those little glue on fins my board just to see what they would do. My good friend and fellow inbider of the herb looked at them and laughed. He also thought wings were silly as were swallow tails. Like all good surfers with diffrent opinions on board design we endlessly aruged the point.  One day Bill shows up at Beacons with two little crud fins made from old surf wax stuck on the bottom of his board. 

Thanks for another little trip on the wayback machine.

speaking of those little double stick tape glue on fins…

been there done that 

they never really worked all that well

Bill’s was a better set up

Reno and Brewer did their first “tri-fins” like that nut only using half moon glass-ons in the same position where the side find were slightly behind the center fin.

the campbell brothers had a better solution at the time

Man, If I have to watch one more video of a guy surfing with a bird in his hands....

W.T.F. OVER?!?!?!?

[quote="$1"]

speaking of those little double stick tape glue on fins..

been there done that 

they never really worked all that well

Bill's was a better set up

Reno and Brewer did their first "tri-fins" like that nut only using half moon glass-ons in the same position where the side find were slightly behind the center fin.

the campbell brothers had a better solution at the time

[/quote]

Oneula,

Per your photo above, that was the tri fin configuration I used when I did my first one in Sept. 1964.     I also used that setup in 1971 with the removable system.    The setup I'm ''hand modeling'' was an experiment on my personal board.   It produced tons of drive, speed, and allowed me to turn anywhere on the wave face, at any time.   Which I really liked.     So much so, that I'm going to make another one, as a ''twin'' with corner bites. 

Bumping this up, because the page 85 photo’s in the Oct. 1971, Surfer Mag, have been lost, in this thread.     There are a few newbies here, that need to understand what had been done in the past.     Can anyone help reposting the photo’s?     Thanks  for any help. 

Bill

That would be great.

My new fangled ipad refuses point blank to show me the pics from yesteryear on page 1.

New technology…Bah, Humbug!

It’s not just you, or your iPad. The pictures are gone. Many images posted to Sways in the past are no longer accessible.

Aloha Sammy,

Is there any chance you could delve into your Surfer Mag archive, and post the  page 85 item?  

Bill

Aloha,…I repaired a Weber “pig” 70-71 in Cocoa Beach with the side bites which had a “smoking joint” air brushed on the bottom,…I remember the board because of the unusual, at the time fin set-up, the fins were glassed in

My board at the time was a Hobie 5’4" twin fin shaped by MM,which was still part of the Positive Force series, pulled in nose, with a shaped kick tail and vari set system—I cut down the fins.

I also, remember doing a fly’n kick out–no leash in those days–at Canaveral Pier, it landed on another guys deck–double stabbing it–after I pulled the board out of the guys deck. He had just gotten the board “another Hobie twin” from RJ, he was a new Team rider.

Aloha, Randy

Aloha Randy,

Weber was the first major board builder to get on board with my TriFin system, back in early 1971.       I developed the system in Oct. 1970, and launched ads in Feb. 1971.       The system required no tools or screws.    The fins were held in with an undercut  at the front, with a .003  friction fit in the fin slot.   Several years later, Billy Caster and Phil Castignola, (with my blessing) resurected the system, and sold a ton of them in the late 70’s to early 80’s.    The fins were injection molded Lexan, and the ‘‘box’’ was molded into the board with a male tool, in the glassing process.      I still have some of those fins, from 1971.

Bill

Lets go back to Jan 1971, Bad year for me! However 72 was the best ever and the Garden isle was heaven on earth!

Needless to say no mag's survided the "70's however did manage to dig up this!

Aloha.

Those were the good ol’ days, in a great many ways!

Aloha Bill,.

Yep, I remember them being Lexan.

Aloha, Randy

Still looking for a little help.     Anyone?