3 Horrible pics from the ranch on 9/16

Horrible for a couple reasons: 1) camera with no zoom taken from boat channel 2) # of people on a Friday over-hyped swell. My hosting site doesn’t do thumbnails, so I cropped the photos to zoom in for the detail. Only 3 pics, then the same pics zoomed in:

EDIT: try right clicking and “view image”, if that doesn’t work, here’s the photo album: http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=2120478293

yeah cojo looks horrible to me too

Actually looks very uncrowded!

Times I’ve seen usually 20+ boats, half that up at Govs…

PM winds can make it a little challenging…

calvin coolidge!

thanks for the look.

I may die and never surf the place

nice to see.

…ambrose…

better than seaside.

eh TJ?

No biggee…

You were prolly surfing Pvates before it got crowded…

Heck, prolly Stockton and Mits before they were crowded…

Always fun to finally arrive at parkinglot to see 25 boat trailers empty of their boats.

Once we counted over 40!

Guess there’s OK waves where you are now…

there were 20 at cojo, 20 at gov’s, and 10+ spread around perkos and hollister. most i have ever seen. plus the people lucky enough to camp at cojo or gov’s and you have quite a crowd.

it does look much better now that i am at work on a monday, though.

Good spread, methinks…

I hate it when the majority sit at Cojo, 1/3rd to Govs…

Sorta fun practicing tow-in at the mush…

Did you get a shot of how many black or white SUV/Pickups were parked on the local spots on the beach?

Nice photos Stubs…

I was almost there too but I couldn’t find anyone willing to help beach launch my inflatable. I was a little concerned about the wind picking up early anyway. Went to Jalama and got it good, plenty of people there too. That swell was kind of overhyped, combined with the rest of this summers pitiful wave display people were just ravenous for some surf. Hopefully this winter will make up for it, can’t wait to hit big Razors.

yeah the head-high dumping gaviota beach break was fun to time. S swell launches are always easier than big NW’s. i have a 14’ rigid bottom inflatable with a 40hp and we still beach launch it to save hassle and time. i’m looking forward to razors as well. seems to work best once its 8’ with numbing offshores.

Not that long ago, during that last El Nino(mid 90’s)14’ Achilles, 25hp Tohatsu—Pull it off the trailer by myself(52 0r 53 years old back then). First in line at the gate. This was during that period of time when the hoist was down for over a year. Anyway I beach-wheel drag it down to the waters edge. I’m outta there on my way to Cojo within 20 minutes of the gate being unlocked. Two groups of younger guys(half my age) standing in the parking lot trying to get their $#!t together. Inflate their garage-sale inflatables. Unload all their $#!t from their Toyata forerunners. Drag their boats down etc. They looked at me in amazement. I was told by some guys one day at Drakes that I had alot balls going in there so often by mysef. It wasn’t a case of being balsy, but rather a case of necessity. I had to surf good waves at least a couple of times a month or go stir crazy riding Pisblo beach slop. My "Blowhard friends in Pismo were always talkin’ the talk about how bad they wanted to go. Half the time they didn’t get out of bed to meet me at the 7-11. So once I realized I could do it by myself, I quit mentioning it to the posers that I was even going. Those drive-ins, propety owners and bearded "Goons from Lompoc at RandL’s couldn’t badmouth me for bringing a crowd. It doesn’t sound as much fun since they unionized the hoist and appointed Pismo Bob Union steward, Grand Poopah and Admiral of the Agruello Yacht Club. If I do it in the future I’ll stick to the beach launch and avoid the Clubby atmosphere and politics of the hoist. Hell the hardest part was draggin’ it UP the beach at the days end. Once in awhile the lifeguard or some weekender would help me. That cold beer stashed in my ice chest sure tasted good after a great day of uncrowded Ranch surf. Hd McDing

Many fond memories, and many trips in a variety of ways… walked, boated, smuggled in, drove, backpacked in and camped above Utah’s for a week, invited to stay at Cojos… even paddled around Pt. Conception on a 5’2" fish(no swim fins, early 70’s) one time with a friend(Reeve).

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Quote:

Real nice stubs. I love small waves like that aye. Just big enuf to do a couple of good moves. I think if i had those waves on offer i wud cry right now. Havnt surfed in about 4 weeks. Can u believe that. Im starting to twich and holucinate. Hopefully there is some surf tomorow. Looks promising for over hear. Nice photos, me likey.

sounds as though you need to contact fellow kiwi ‘Heist’ …sounds like HE has had an EPIC winter …west coast New Zealand .

Glad you liked the photos .

Cecil

Quote:

I always thought that was a sequence of Alan Hazard

Quote:

Not that long ago, during that last El Nino(mid 90’s)14’ Achilles, 25hp Tohatsu—Pull it off the trailer by myself(52 0r 53 years old back then). First in line at the gate. This was during that period of time when the hoist was down for over a year. Anyway I beach-wheel drag it down to the waters edge. I’m outta there on my way to Cojo within 20 minutes of the gate being unlocked. Two groups of younger guys(half my age) standing in the parking lot trying to get their $#!t together. Inflate their garage-sale inflatables. Unload all their $#!t from their Toyata forerunners. Drag their boats down etc. They looked at me in amazement. I was told by some guys one day at Drakes that I had alot balls going in there so often by mysef. It wasn’t a case of being balsy, but rather a case of necessity. I had to surf good waves at least a couple of times a month or go stir crazy riding Pisblo beach slop. My "Blowhard friends in Pismo were always talkin’ the talk about how bad they wanted to go. Half the time they didn’t get out of bed to meet me at the 7-11. So once I realized I could do it by myself, I quit mentioning it to the posers that I was even going. Those drive-ins, propety owners and bearded "Goons from Lompoc at RandL’s couldn’t badmouth me for bringing a crowd. It doesn’t sound as much fun since they unionized the hoist and appointed Pismo Bob Union steward, Grand Poopah and Admiral of the Agruello Yacht Club. If I do it in the future I’ll stick to the beach launch and avoid the Clubby atmosphere and politics of the hoist. Hell the hardest part was draggin’ it UP the beach at the days end. Once in awhile the lifeguard or some weekender would help me. That cold beer stashed in my ice chest sure tasted good after a great day of uncrowded Ranch surf. Hd McDing

Anderson Greenough 17’ 4 Sale - $25500

Reply to: sale-264550226@craigslist.org

Date: 2007-01-18, 7:59AM PST

1995 Pilot House G-17 with Yamaha 115 hp SWS OB, perfect condition, Furuno Radar & Color GPS-Plotter/FF, CD w/ Bose speakers, certified sling, twin axle/disc brake galvy trailer recently serviced.

Doug 805-441-9379

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

One time I tried to walk into the Ranch from Jalama and got turned around by one of the “true” locals. I was cruising down the beach and looking down at the sand. I happened to looked up and about 15 feet in front of me was a big hairy black pig. At first I thought, “Hey that’s cool… a pig.” Then I thought, “Can these guys be dangerous?” It was looking at me like he was going to charge, so I stopped. There wasn’t much distance between the cliff and the water, so my only choice was to back up slowly. When I was finally a safe distance back he went back to sniffing around the kelp piles on the sand. The cliff was too high to climb up and walk around him. I couldn’t figure out how to get past him. I was just on an exploratory mission and didn’t have a surfboard or a wetsuit. That ruled out swimming around him. My only option was to give up and head back up the beach where I came from. It kind of made me chuckle that I had been turned around at the Ranch by a pig.

I have heard of pretty bad localism at the ranch from a guy that has surfed there a few times, is it still bad?

bush pig will mess you up. you did the right thing. lucky it wasn’t with piglets, cuz she’da mauled you fsure.

what’s the story with ownership of the beach stateside? down here the beach and X meters from the high-tide line is public domain. No one can kick you off the beach. ( there’s pluses and minuses to this – but the pluses far outweight the minuses)