A good blow

Friday afternoon 1pm, at the school, I get a phone call from the PTB’s at Kauai Dept of Health. They are passing along a request from our Guv name of Linda Lingle, doing her politico duties, so as not to be seen as a come-lately, or a shirker, namely we should all begin freaking out about tropical storms Kenneth and Jova, and make certain that by 3pm all the confidential files are locked up so they don’t get loose like the chickens during Iniki and reveal somebody’s warts. Also, we are to be sure we have the phone numbers of all the family contacts of the kids we work with, just in case they are so disasterized that we need to call them as they won’t have phones to be able to call us (doh!). I should probably get some quarters for the phone booths just in case my phone isn’t working either. And, of course I should show up for work no matter what.

It’s always nice to be thought of in case a good blow is just around the corner. Thanks, Guv. Will you be joining the party?

That’s okay, man. Heee- I am pretty much smack in the bullseye for TS Ophelia just now. In about three hours I may be kinda in the midst of something a little messy. Nothing big, mind you, just messy.

Made a big pot of stew/ bouef bourginnion and a fresh pot of coffee, large bottle of wine chilling, nice loaf of french bread and mebbe a caesar salad. Might as well do this with a little style, y’know?

Kinda funny to watch all the wash-ashores ( as we call those who moved here recently ) running around like headless chickens, buying up batteries and candles and all that. The locals ( the for-real locals) on the other hand just dust off the kerosene lamps ( inherited mine from my grandmother ) , make a big pot of something good and hit the library for something to read.

I’m kinda looking forward to this. Hell, been offshore in worse, this’ll just move the leaves around some.

doc…

As a Hawaii tax payer I can only lobby that the profession you represent will be taken off the tit of the State government.

I wonder how much of your income comes from the State and how much actual good is done. You gotta admire the effort of you and your peers though. Making a wonderful living off the State taking care of all those mentally ill students. Thanks for all you do to keep this State functioning. It just seems strange the kids aren’t getting better, just more meds, more couch session or card playing session/talks. Oh yeah and more kids labeled with a disability now. Keep on scamming and just send the Gov the bill. The citizens of Hawaii will pay. I wish I was your supervisor. Knowing you publically disclosed this info for no good reason. Sit on my couch. How long have you hated the Gov? How long have you hated women? To fix this it will take many sessions and a major credit card.

Now to bring this back to a surf discussion…if you need a board for the potential swell, may I suggest this beauty for your Hawaii leadership loving spirit you share with the world( and I hope the gov. too but I think you wouldn’t dare. loose chicken pre storm???).

Lingle/Aiona 2006 yeahhhhhhhhh.

Cmphawaii said the word “tit” in his first sentence.

Love, Delbert Evil Pumpernickel

Delbert,

You take a word out of context. “tit (pronounced teet) of the State Government”.

Kind of like you saying “XPS” and leaving out the word “delamination”. Need to keep it in context at all times.

Very cool unrprovoked aggression. Have a nice life cmphawaii. You’ve been a really good sport and have a great sense of humor. So much so that I have decided I do not want to participate in an arena that has you in it. Grow up. Be a man. Stop believing that you have all the truth in your pocket. You aren’t even close. Practice what you preach or stop preaching.

Tiktokman

Moving clock “wise” without you.

Howzit?!? Hurricane preparedness is no laughing matter. Anyone who missed the last one here, I suggest that they watch the Iniki video. With a whole pack of weather systems grinding their way towards us right now, it’s a good idea to stay on your toes. Heads up!!! Aloha…RH

wow, you can dish out the unprovoked aggression on the Gov( who I luv), but can’t take it(provoked response in my opinion) when it’s pointed at you? Has tropical storm cmphawaii really made you stop wanting to post? Don’t leave on my account. Stay and T.S. cmphawaii will move further out to sea only leaving a fond memory of the swell it brought and the fun you had. Alas, never to be remembered again…cmphawaii, frequent reader of ambrose.

swaylocks on whose dime?

the nerve you hit was significant cmp ,methinx

preparedness for hurricane yellow journalism

nothing better than the US TOO! cry wolph

from oahu stationary media…

new mantra,

there aint gonna be no hurricane

dont even say hurricane arround me

unless you wanna look down the barrel of my INIKI

politicians get to drive arround in choppers and look at wrecked stuff

and say I told you real early to get ready

and employees repea it and real people get upset

just watch how you say hurricane arround

PTSS flash back cases.

never been there?

maybe thats why yall act like you do

sombody loves you any way.

…ambrose…

but we reserve the right to love you less

when ya act like you was there

after reading the coffee table book

say hurricane outloud in a group of kauaians

thats not stinkeye you are getting

but its close.

watch out,and be really ready to act in two hours.

and keep working for 6 months

we know who we are,

those that was one with INIKI

kinda like surfing the sets.

it helps if you really surf well

button pushers wrecking ten consecutive beautiful days

that people world wide would give two weeks pay to enjoy

with surf.

KAUAI…better than most any where…Kilohana

bragging rights on a disaster

could this possibly be true

can I see your card that says it’s so

hey, look I have one too

the chipped shoulders still carried by some

most healed and all brand new

but when you really look hard

there was nothing you could do

no man could hide

or government could quide

this path of destiny

the house

the soul

moral character

stressed hard for all to see

the foundation on which it is built

By man or God’s decree

9-11, tsumnami wave.

It’s cancer and pain you see

Like the brave son lost in the war

we all have our own iniki’s

sand or stone the chioice is yours

the sacrafice for you and me

may your foundation not be made of sand

o foolish life lost in the sea

…blessed to live in Hawaii since Jan 1991. don’t need the coffee table book, I have the t-shirt.

Quote:

Howzit?!? Hurricane preparedness is no laughing matter. With a whole pack of weather systems grinding their way towards us right now, it’s a good idea to stay on your toes. Heads up!!! Aloha…RH

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/nepac-ir4-loop.html

http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeswestpacusir.html

One thing I don’t understand (out of about 4 billion other things) is how come some people have to batten down every time a big blow comes. In the northern clims of Australia the buildings are cyclone rated so that they can withstand Cat 5 cyclones with minimal damage.

I see images of people from the US running out and buying plywood sheets to cover up windows etc nailing them on and then pulling them off after (that’s if their building is still standing). Mass evacuations don’t happen here. We simply shut the storm shutters and lie low for a while. 90% prepared 100% of the time. I’ve been through 3 Cat 5 cyclones in the NW of Oz over the past 20 years and have seen that most of the damage happens from flying objects that weren’t tied down or trees that fall.

Most of the human toll and suffering can be blamed on poor public infrastructure management and a lack of forward planning.

My brain hurts now…

ever hear …

"don’t pull that face , or the wind will change , and you’ll be stuck… ???

well , it happened to THESE guys, you better believe it !! …

storm shutters my ass , I queensland we adjourn to the bathroom. not the multi purpose thing they call it else where. It only has a bath . we fill it full of beer and sit the bugger out opening windows on the opposite side of the house for vaccum release . NO. to invite the neighbours over for a beer or 20 . BRING IT ON. I LOVE SUMMER in NQ

Hicksy, it is strange isn’t it that there are so relatively few masonry houses in the US. And each case is different for certain, but there are usually reasons.

South Florida is not exactly dirt. It’s mostly limestone & old dead coral reefs. Not to mention filled swamp. Masonry houses sink, but frame houses on piers stay put. Same thing in a lot of the Gulf coast & southern Atlantic shore areas, only there its sand & not swamp.

In southern CA (& Baja Mexico) brick houses might weather the storms better, but then they kill you when the next earthquake knocks 'em down.

I worked with a couple of Kiwi carpenters for a while. They thought everything was bass-ackwards because we built the most expensive custom homes stick by stick and the crappy housing projects out of concrete blocks. They said, in NZ, its 180* opposite. I guess style has something to do with it too … :slight_smile:

One of the big problems is that we, as tax payers, end up paying for rebuilding as a result of poor planning. The cycle in The U.S. continues over and over. It’s such a waste of money and resources. Be ready to take care of yourself.

HURRICANE JOVA DISCUSSION NUMBER 35

NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI

5 AM HST TUE SEP 20 2005

HURRICANE JOVA CONTINUES TO EXHIBIT A SLIGHTLY MORE WESTWARD TRACK

THAN EARLIER FORECAST AND THUS THE CURRENT FORECAST TRACK HAS AGAIN

BEEN SHIFTED SLIGHTLY TO THE LEFT OF THE PREVIOUS TRACK. THIS IS IN

ACCORDANCE WITH THE CONSENSUS GUIDANCE GUNS…CONU AND GUNA…BUT

WELL TO THE LEFT OF GFDI. INITIAL MOTION IS TOWARD 305 DEGREES AT 7

KT. CPHC CALCULATED A FINAL T OF 5.5…WHILE GWC AND JTWC DROPPED

IT BACK TO A 5.0 FOR THIS PACKAGE. HAVE KEPT THE INITIAL STRENGTH

CONSTANT AT 100 KT IN ACCORDANCE WITH CPHC AND HAVE SLOWED THE

WEAKENING TREND WITH TIME FROM THE PREVIOUS PACKAGES DUE SLIGHTLY

LESS COOLING OF THE SEA SURFACE ALONG THE CURRENT TRACK.

NO SIGNIFICANT CHANGE IS SEEN IN MODEL GUIDANCE WHICH IS BRINGING A

DEVELOPING UPPER LOW AND TROUGH SOUTHWARD TO A POSITION SOME 500

MILES NORTHWEST OF KAUAI LATE FRIDAY. THIS WILL KEEP JOVA ON THE

PROJECTED NORTHWESTERLY COURSE THROUGH 96 HOURS OR THROUGH FRIDAY

EVENING…BUT WILL NOT LIKELY RESULT IN STRONG ENOUGH SHEAR OVER

THE SYSTEM TO DESTROY HER CIRCULATION. MODELS THEN MOVE THIS UPPER

LOW WESTWARD WITH TIME OVER THE WEEKEND…AND THIS MAY ALLOW A

SOMEWHAT WEAKENED JOVA TO TAKE A MORE WESTERLY OR WEST-

NORTHWESTERLY TRACK BEYOND 96 HOURS. THIS WOULD TAKE THE SYSTEM

WESTWARD TO THE NORTH OF THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS…KEEPING THE

ISLANDS IN LIGHT WINDS AS IT PASSES BY AND PROVIDING A MOIST…

UNSTABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR THE ISLANDS THROUGH THE COMING WEEKEND.

DEPENDING ON HOW FAR NORTH JOVA IS PULLED BY THE UPPER LEVEL SYSTEM

WILL DEPEND THE CHANCES FOR HEAVY SHOWERS AND POSSIBLE

THUNDERSTORMS OVER THE MAIN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS.

THUS THE MAIN EFFECTS OF JOVA FOR THE ISLANDS AT THIS TIME IS

EXPECTED TO BE AN INCREASE IN HEAVY SHOWERS…ALONG WITH LIGHT

WINDS AND UNCOMFORTABLY WARM AND HUMID CONDITIONS NEXT WEEKEND.

HOWEVER…AS WITH ALL TROPICAL SYSTEMS…TRACK AND INTENSITY

FORECASTS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE. INTERESTS IN AND AROUND THE

HAWAIIAN ISLANDS AND ON THE NEARBY WATERS ARE URGED TO MONITOR THE

PROGRESS OF THIS STORM CLOSELY OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS.

Quote:

One thing I don’t understand (out of about 4 billion other things) is how come some people have to batten down every time a big blow comes. In the northern clims of Australia the buildings are cyclone rated so that they can withstand Cat 5 cyclones with minimal damage.

I see images of people from the US running out and buying plywood sheets to cover up windows etc nailing them on and then pulling them off after (that’s if their building is still standing). Mass evacuations don’t happen here

There are many factors unique to different areas. When it comes to the U.S. hurricane affected areas you have a whole buncha stuff to consider as a spectator.

One is the massive population in the U.S. (300 million give or take a few million). People have to live somewhere, and that somewhere is usually near some kind of work…or recreation, or if retired someplace fairly cheap to live, which usually means a slow economy.

Another factor is the political/economic one. The U.S. has no national healthcare system (wags could argue there isn’t much of a system at all). It costs a lot to live a “modern life” with the conveniences which this era takes to be necessities. It already costs a small fortune to build/buy a house in coastal areas of the U.S. - but to build or buy one which in theory might withstand a catagory 5 hurricane would probably double or triple the costs - maybe even $2 million U.S.D. for something people right now are paying $500,000 to $1 million for. I’m guessing a bit on the actual numbers but I doubt I’m far off if I’m off at all, or at least for the percentage. On the political end most communities have zoning laws which regulate the look of houses. especially in showplace areas. And all this varies state by state in the U.S. - it’s the United States in practice.

Another factor is geography. When you look at a map and see the Outer Banks or Florida on the east coast you will see small, narrow barrier islands (where the surf and beach communities are). These are hugely vulnerable to storms. New Orleans was built around an area chosen hundreds of years ago for strategic and defense advantages at the workable mouth of the Mississippi River. People out in the bayous and out towards the Gulf are basically sitting on swamp or more sandbars. The Gulf itself is just a bowl and very vulnerable to storms. The east and gulf coasts were the earliest parts of the U.S. to be colonized by Europeans, and thus have entrenched communites going back to the 1600’s if we want to get technical. These aren’t new communities at all, regardless of all the new development.

I have a cousin in Oregon who has asked me on occasion why people keep moving to California when California can’t generate enough electricity to power the state without buying from other regions, and California doesn’t have enough water to provide for both citizens and agriculture without again buying from other places that have the resources. I point out that Oregon has both water and water generated electricty enough to sell to California, and maybe he wants the people to come his way to live…he doesn’t seem too high on the idea.

It’s a complicated stew of factors. As mentioned in another post you won’t see brick houses in California because of the earthquake issue. There are houses still standing in San Francisco that made it through the 1906 quake and the more recent one a little over a decade ago. They are wood. Wood isn’t good in case of fires, like Southern California communites routinely get in the Fall, and like the one which killed many and burned hundreds of homes near Oakland or Berkley some years back. You can’t eliminate risk in dynamic envrionments. If everyone were removed from risky geopraphic regions all the U.S. would have would be Blade Runner-style concentration camps. Sometimes it already feels like that…

Howzit E-pacman, Kind of looks like Jova is headed straight towards the Big Island but hopefully it will turn more north than SW. People on Oahu are stocking up on supplies but it seems that here on Kauai people haven’t started. The thing that gets me is how these hurricane are drawen towards our little specks in the Pacific. One thing is that the hurricanes that have done the most damage have traveled south of Hawaii then done an abrupt 90 degree turn north and hooked into Kauai. We are just hoping that the trades increase which will in turn shear off the top. Also it looks like one of the hurricanes is already turning north and it should generate some surf for California. Told my shaper yesterday to keep the blanks I’m going to glass til after we know exactly where the storms are going since my shop will never make it through a hurricane,up up and away.Aloha,Kokua

Wait a second. Did ambrose and cmphawaii just have an argument in iambic pentameter? You have to give credit to Swaylocks - even the verbal dust-ups are creative.

Final note to those of you who care to get it, so that the message is not lost in the mediocrity of jumped assumptions about meaning and metaphor. But, I am often too obtuse and must explain myself from time to time.

CMP, You give yourself too much credit. You misunderstand. There are other reasons. Read between the lines of your own attitude. There were thousands before you whose words were covered in their own sweat of doubt. I heard the likes of your litany when my devout neighbors’ children thought I had a devil’s tail hidden behind my jeans simply because my prayers were read right to left and we attended on Saturdays instead of Sundays.

Please, do call the guv and reveal the revelation. My colleagues will laugh out loud at the joke. Restart the fear which the kids already anticipate without the federalis assistance. I see it in their eyes when they hear the warning newscasts and read the handouts, and I feel the vibes through the walls of my office when such pronouncements are made without an aching heart behind the voice. I am the absorber of the fear which they have absorbed from their parents and friends who were here “then.” I cannot paddle away but must stay and tread water with them. You may hide from it if you wish, but I will help them swim to safety anyway.

Befoul and besmirch me all you care, for it is but a puff of foul sulfurous self-aggrandizement, but beware trying to diminish a state of genuine caring over the uncaring state of politics. Karma is karma in such things. Sorry your love is not my love, love, but that’s the way the world works. We don’t all worship at the same feet of clay.

Of course it’s no laughing matter. That’s the point. The whole thing is in bad taste, and can be put forth basely only in those terms. ‘They’ are “personally” responsible, and in no way should be protected by anonymity to the masses whose hopes and lives they hold in their zippered deep pockets. Sure, raise the price of gasoline after a tragedy just to see if people will tolerate it. Escalate the fear so people will fill their tanks and keep them topped off. Use all the real suffering to appear concerned with the elected duties. I need to go vomit to feel human again.

Sometimes the only way to get the point across is to leave, so others have time to consider the void. So, I take my leave.

For those of you who still love the freedom to be stricken by your ability to feel the world’s pain, I bow to you in communion, words for which may be read in any direction in any house of prayer anywhere on the planet.

Moderator, please delete my profile. I no longer require an identity. I have delivered my final good blow, only partially below the belt.

Tiktokman

Moving farther out,

farther in,

farther on.