A LOOK at 09 SUP fins from FIBRE GLAS FIN with ProBox-Larry

Hi Guys, Thought I would share some new SUP fin designs I have been working on for the past few months. The pics are of the Thresher and Ninja rear fins with a Dagger fin for open ocean and lakes. These fins are designed to fit a standard center fin box( HI-Surf Center Box is made by Fibre Glas Fin) with approx. 4" of forward and back adjustment on 9’6" SUP’S and up.The Dagger fin for 10’6" SUP’S and up. Please feel free to ask any questions. Mahalo,Larry

This Dagger fin is used up front to help your board plane easily by giving lateral support in the power paddle area, helping you from over working yourself to keep your board traveling straight in strong side currents.

Mahalo,Larry

This Ninja Fin is used in the rear on single fin SUPs or can be used with a Dagger up front combo. This fin plan shape is designed to work in boards with the center box further up in the range of 13" or more for easy turning abilty and hold.

The Thresher fin is also a single or Dagger combo with a more upright plan shape for quick pivot turning action with alittle twist off the tip. This fin works in a wider range of tail designs, wide and narrow.

For those of you who like the Bamboo fins, here is a Dagger fin blank cut out of 3/8" thick material from Greenlight.

Mahalo,Larry

Here’s the Greenlight Bamboo Dagger fin foiled.

Mahalo, Larry

Hey Larry…Are these outta standard 3/8 panels?

Roger

Brian needs to check his quality control…it looks like there’s holes in his bamboo panels…

Hey Proneman,

Yep. That Dagger fin’s made from the 3/8" bamboo panels I sent Larry.

~Brian

www.greenlightsurfsupply.com

Hi afoaf,

I don’t remember having any large nodes in the panels!

Maybe the FedEx guy had a holesaw and a bamboo fetish. Ewwwww. Talk about splinters! haha

~Brian

Brian, sorry to semi-hijack the thread but got a quick Q for you, one of my students here at Manchester Met Uni in uk has just ordered some bamboo fabric from you online, he came to me today and said he’d ordered it and it cost him a bit to ship so i told him to email you and ask how much weight he was allowed for the same shipping cost (he’s only ordered a few feet i think) as i wouldnt mind getting some probox bamboo fin panels and if we could ship them all together with no extra charge id split the cost with him and order some. make sense? hope you might be able to help

dog

Hi Dog

Check your PM

~Brian

When will these fins be available to us consumers and ball park cost? They look like they would work for flat water, open ocean down wind stuff and in the surf. Keep me posted. Gracias

Larry,

The foil in this picture looks like it tapers quite a bit from base to tip. I know I foil bamboo thruster and quad fins like that to enhance the flex performance properties of the bamboo fin…

But the tip of this SUP fin is probably no less than 3/16" thick - still pretty stiff with bamboo.

Anyway here’s my question:

Is there a hydrodynamic advantage to this taper for flatwater paddling? Or are you wanting it to flex?

Thanks,

~Brian

Quote:

This Dagger fin is used up front to help your board plane easily by giving lateral support in the power paddle area, helping you from over working yourself to keep your board traveling straight in strong side currents.

Mahalo,Larry

Another question:

What do you mean by using the Dagger fin “up front”?

Thanks again,

~Brian

Quote:

Hey Larry…Are these outta standard 3/8 panels?

Roger

Hi Roger, Good to hear from you again. Alittle over 3/8" thickness is the fiberglass panel thickness, I know you are looking for 7/16" thickness. Mahalo,Larry

Quote:

When will these fins be available to us consumers and ball park cost? They look like they would work for flat water, open ocean down wind stuff and in the surf. Keep me posted. Gracias

Hi manjusri64, Thank you for joining in and welcome to Swaylocks, always enjoy meeting new friends. The costs on these fins are approx. $80.00 retail and they are in production now. I will posts some history how I came up with these designs, hope you guys enjoy the little trip back in time. Mahalo,Larry

Quote:

Larry,

The foil in this picture looks like it tapers quite a bit from base to tip. I know I foil bamboo thruster and quad fins like that to enhance the flex performance properties of the bamboo fin…

But the tip of this SUP fin is probably no less than 3/16" thick - still pretty stiff with bamboo.

Anyway here’s my question:

Is there a hydrodynamic advantage to this taper for flatwater paddling? Or are you wanting it to flex?

Thanks,

~Brian

Hi Brain, Interesting question! The foil in the leading edge is foiled back which allows for a faster flow thru water and there is no flex in the tip section of this BamBoo Fin. Mahalo,Larry

Quote:
Quote:

Mahalo,Larry

Another question:

What do you mean by using the Dagger fin “up front”?

Thanks again,

~Brian

Brian, Good question, I will answer this question with a picture of the board retro fitted to use the Dagger Fin concept you are asking about in a few days. Mahalo,Larry

Quote:
Quote:

Hi manjusri64, Thank you for joining in and welcome to Swaylocks, always enjoy meeting new friends. The costs on these fins are approx. $80.00 retail and they are in production now. I will posts some history how I came up with these designs, hope you guys enjoy the little trip back in time. Mahalo,Larry

Now we will take alittle trip back to the 70’s with this lifeguard fin I made for Control Products for the Lifeguard Boards.

The Lifeguard fin gave me the idea for the Dagger Fin. Mahalo,Larry