A LOOK at 09 SUP fins from FIBRE GLAS FIN with ProBox-Larry

Quote:

Hi afoaf,

I read Griffin was working with a machine shop to foil his G10’s for aftermarket.

I know ProBox Larry’s already super busy making bamboo fins for me :slight_smile: and all these sweet SUP fins.

Take it easy,

~Brian

www.greenlightsurfsupply.com

You are right Brian, pretty busy making Bamboo fins of all kinds. Thanks for offering the varity of thickness, makes things super easy.

Here is a 12 ft. SUP with the Dagger Box I installed for a fellow Swaylockian as I promised. Hope to get a ride report back.

It’s funny how things take shape when all the pieces are together.

Here is another look at the Dagger fin and the Thresher in the board. The Ninja SOLD out as soon as I finished them, will make more to complete some backorders. NOTE: You can use 2 Dagger fins in smooth flat water conditions.

Mahalo, Larry

Quote:

This Dagger fin is used up front to help your board plane easily by giving lateral support in the power paddle area, helping you from over working yourself to keep your board traveling straight in strong side currents.

Mahalo,Larry

Hey Larry,

Now I see what you mean by using the Dagger fin “up front”.

Looks like it is positioned in front of where you stand on an SUP. I imagine it creates a lot of stability in the area between the fins.

Nice work!

~Brian

www.greenlightsurfsupply.com

Cool finz, reminds me of a keel fin I had way back when…same access hole deal. Neat stuff.

…hello Larry,

very interesting concept

I think I can share this item that can fit really nice for that access to the screw

a silver jewel

functional, you dont need a screwdriver or whatever (also in that intrincated space)

stainless

style nice and cool

the screws are stainless steele, better than bronze

sorry for the small picture

Quote:

Here is a 12 ft. SUP with the Dagger Box I installed for a fellow Swaylockian as I promised. Hope to get a ride report back.

The big yellow Ron House that Larry used as the example in the photos above is mine. Picked up the board yesterday and took it out in the water this morning.

I had the dagger fin in the front, but did not have one of the threshers in the back. Instead, I was running a standard 9.5" fin similar to a “California Classic.”

The addition of the dagger fin just forward of where you stand makes a significant difference in keeping the board tracking in a straight line, which means you don’t have to switch sides paddling as often and paddling efficiency is increased. Usually, I am switching sides every 2-4 strokes, but with the dagger fin installed, that number was increased to 8-10 strokes and that is taking into account that this morning there was some new swell in the water and the high tide backwash (it was a 7 ft tide this morning) was bringing bumps to deal with from both sides.

It’s a nice low tech alternative to having a tiller installed on your stand up for those distance paddles.

Quote:
Quote:

The big yellow Ron House that Larry used as the example in the photos above is mine. Picked up the board yesterday and took it out in the water this morning.

I had the dagger fin in the front, but did not have one of the threshers in the back. Instead, I was running a standard 9.5" fin similar to a “California Classic.”

The addition of the dagger fin just forward of where you stand makes a significant difference in keeping the board tracking in a straight line, which means you don’t have to switch sides paddling as often and paddling efficiency is increased. Usually, I am switching sides every 2-4 strokes, but with the dagger fin installed, that number was increased to 8-10 strokes and that is taking into account that this morning there was some new swell in the water and the high tide backwash (it was a 7 ft tide this morning) was bringing bumps to deal with from both sides.

It’s a nice low tech alternative to having a tiller installed on your stand up for those distance paddles.

Thanks feralseppo for the review. Looking forward to hear how the Thresher fin for the rear works over a regular surfboard plan shape, with the Dagger combo.

Mahalo,Larry

reverb, Thanks for sharing that unique set-up for tighting the fin, pretty clever.

We offer two ways in tighting the fin:

One is with a dime that fits into the slotted brass screw slot like the pic below.

Or the stainless steel wonder bolt that goes into a stainless steel breakaway plate, like the pic below.

Mahalo,Larry

I also found another interesting problem that has been happening with the SUP boards. They are all using standard fin boxes which are two piece. The problem with this is that SUP boards are and have been more than not beaching. Hitting the fins, causing the bottom of the fin box to crack. This can happen and you may not even know that your fin caused the bottom of your box to split until your board starts to take on water which then is a pretty expensive repair and damage to your EPS core.

So I am bring back our Hi-Wind Box that I designed in late eights for Windsurfers, which is a ONE PIECE FIN BOX also with the special heat treated coating like ProBoxes for superior bonding installs like the pic below.

Mahalo,Larry

Hi feralseppo, Thought I would share this Tim Stamps Open Ocean 12’ 6" Race Board with a LA(Larry Allison) Thresher in it. Mahalo,Larry

https://swaylocks7stage.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/1030506_surfboards#5%20031.jpg

https://swaylocks7stage.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/1030507_surfboards#5%20034.jpg

Sweet lookin fins…

that dagger model looks a bit like an old school “d” fin! Is it similar or totally different?

Would ik work on a classic longboard or would the hole in the middle disrupt the working as a “surfing” fin?

Quote:

Sweet lookin fins…

that dagger model looks a bit like an old school “d” fin! Is it similar or totally different?

Would ik work on a classic longboard or would the hole in the middle disrupt the working as a “surfing” fin?

Hi surfer_dave, Glade to see you like the fins thanks, am working on 2 more rear fins and another Dagger fin for flatter rocker boards.

The Dagger fin is completely different than the “D” fin. The Dagger fin posted here is 5 1/2" tall with approx. 10" base. The “D” fin is over 10" tall with alittle under 10" in the base. The rakes on both of these fins are different also, The Dagger fin has more rake to cut thru Kelp with less drag. The “D” fin is more of a Pivot shape for turning and has alot more drag.

The Dagger fin would be a nice fin on a Longboard with little tail rocker, placed all the way forward in the center box.

The type of hole in size and location of these SUP fins have no effect in performance feel at all, like other properly placed holes or slots would have.

Thank you for your good questions.

Mahalo, Larry

Larry

Thanks for the call today. The fins look great! I think the dagger fin is going to work perfect for me. I can’t wait to try it! It looks as though I’m going to end up having to put them on all my SUP’s.

Aloha, Alex

I have some Super Surf Screws that might work for you. I have them available in both a 10/32 and 8/32 stainless size. Check it out

www.supersurfscrew.com. No sharp edges, low profile, three colors and you can get it tighter than a wonder bolt.

Aloha,

Chris Wilinski

[img_assist|nid=1051088|title=Tool-less Super Surf Screw Fin Screws|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=100|height=62]

[img_assist|nid=1051089|title=Super Surf Screw fin placement system|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=76|height=100] Here’s your answer to attaching your fin.       www.supersurfscrew.com

[quote="$1"]

[img_assist|nid=1051088|title=Tool-less Super Surf Screw Fin Screws|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=0|height=0]

[img_assist|nid=1051089|title=Super Surf Screw fin placement system|desc=|link=none|align=left|width=0|height=0] Here's your answer to attaching your fin.       www.supersurfscrew.com

[/quote

Thanks Super Surf Screw, It's the SCREW that makes life easy. Stock item with the NINJA RACE Series and all my SUP FINS. Mahalo, Larry

www.standupfinsbylarryallison.blogspot.com