ACE workshop Fire.

Just saw on the news8, that his workshop, and more, is gone, due to a fire started by an electric bike charger.

Yep all my tools, templates, memories on the wall and most of my surfboards old and new and mats are gone. My truck and camper, the when all else fails I have this, toast. Whole backyard just gone. I am not sure how to deal with it but I have to. One of the only boards I was able to grab was Blackie Hoffman’s Del Cannon paddleboard. Kind of ironic becuase Blackie was a fireman. I have to face it today I am sure it is going to hit me hard. 

Sorry Ace.  That has to hurt.  

So sorry to hear this.  Post or PM your mailing address.  I’m going to send you some tools.  I’ve got spares of things you might be able to use.

Maybe get some customers to bring their boards in so you can pull templates?

Hang in there buddy.  You have friends.

Really sorry to hear that. 

Please keep us posted on how we can help out, if at all possible. 

Me among them.      A tragic loss to local surfing history.        Keep folks posted, eh?

Aloha ACE,

Greg Tate makes a good point, about having customers bringing in some boards you’ve shaped, to pull some of your templates off them.

ACE- I live a mile away from you and drove by your house yesterday in the middle of all the chaos.  You’ve helped me out many times in the past, and I’m here if you need anything.  If I can help in any way(cleanup, storage, etc…) please let me know.

-Scott Drew

Thanks everyone I have been pretty busy tring to figure out what to do and how to do it. Major clean up needs to get done. I have recieved some really nice offers of help that have truly humbled me. I will be contacting to take them up. We are trying to organize something for this weekend. I have to double check on the truck offers. Mine is toast. 

Thanks…My address is 2075 Froude st. San Diego Ca. 92107. I have been getting some amazing offers of help. Right now I am struggling with how badly I let my family down. 

Sorry to see this news Ace. I am another who has been inspired by your boards from afar.

Please keep letting us know how it’s going, how you are doing, and what we can do to help.

News8

Gofundme for ACE

I have an old 2WD Nissan Pathfinder you can have for free, but it’s non-operating right now and needs to be retimed, smogged, and a new battery.   If you had any mechanic friends it would take 2-3 hours to put things back together.      New radiatior, timing belt, water pump and some new hoses.  It started and ran every day before the old water pump failed.   

PM if interested

Interesting but I have no tools all burned up. But maybe after I get things cleaned up we can talk. My poor old truck is toast.

Has anyone started a GoFundMe page? Post link in this thread.

While the fire was raging through our backyard I was kind of in shock, I had tried to stop it, my electric bike dharger battery had caught on fire. Lithium batteries are no joke, I got to the bike fast my neighbor saw some smoke comeing from the area where I parked my bike. I did what my instincts told me to do grab fire extinguisher I had a nice big one just for such emergencies . BOOM the fire exploded in front of me when it hit the fire. Game on was nothing I could do but hope the fire dept. could get here fast enough. Lost my backyard all my tools surfboards bicycles my truck camper still in shock. So many tools from my granffather and father I inherited. The fire started to get to the back of my house. It is a 105 year old wooden beach shack if the firetuck was one minute later we would not have a house. So I guess I was lucky. During the fire some guy said he would start a “go fund me” thing. I really was out of it and did not think much of it. It has recieved a lot of donations. I have been truly humbled by the support I have been recieving from the Ocean Beach community and surfing friends from all over the world,…“Sorry to read of your loss. You made me a board in 81 and we swapped your old Rambler sedan for our van and we went to Mexico for two months. Dave,Al and Paul from Australia. Hope you can get back on your feet quickly with a speedy rebuild.”…I mean 1981 this guy still remembers me and contacts me. The go fund thing is under ACE SURFBOARDS I don.t have a link. I was thinking I would not be able to rebuild  another shape shack but the response to that has been changing my mind. I have had friends and people I never met coming by offering support and helping to get the mess cleaned up. All I can say is thank you. 

Huck, There are links in my post on page 1.

Ace,

Sorry to hear about your loss.  Been meaning to create a detailed template from my old 9-8, '66-'67 Bing Nuuhiwa Noserider.  Happy to give you a copy when I finish.

Bill

Might be more effective to create a dedicated “ACE Go Fund Me” thread here in the General Discussion Forum so the link doesn’t get buried deep in a thread.

I feel that a moderator creating such a thread would be most appropriate.  Perhaps a “Sticky” at the top?

Damn. Just read this. I am so sorry ACE. I also have more tools than I need. The 7-2 zing thing you made me in 96 was a magic board. I don’t use that term casually. I saw you at OB a couple summers ago and you stop and talk with me. Share knowledge with me and stories. It means a lot to me. I’ll PM you. Mike

ACE surfboards 1/2 off sale