acrylic spray finish

Try a micro spongie roller,if you got one.

San Diego, U-pol Clear #1, available at downtown auto paint store 17th St., Automotive Painting Products 619 233 6367 $15. per spray can

What is the thinning agent used in(alcohol,lacquer,acetone,etc.) U-POL ? Also what is the propellent ?

That’s alot of $ for one can…With a qt. of waterbased PU , I get several applications over tens of boards.

It’s all what works for you and what you feel most comfortable with.

I don’t hold any punches back…I tell it as I know it to be…put out my info/options,and let you decide.

U-pol Clear #1 from the msds sheet looks like xylene and ethyl methyl ketone are the solvents. There are other evil sounding chemicals listed also. www.u-pol.com>US>data sheets>aerosols. I’m trying for an ultra wonderful top coat so the experiment with hi cost in a convenient spray can is ok for a try, the same product might come in quarts. After running U-pol for a test, Herb’s recommendation for water based urethane will go on for a try at the super slick.

I’m interested in the U-POL if it will substitute a gloss…I got pics of my newest three boards here ready to post…going to down load now.Then I’ll post them in the sways archive.Herb

Xylene…Should bond well.

Herb:

I have been looking for that Behr Water Based Polyurethane in Home Depot in NY.

Went to three stores and no one sells it. I went online and no one has it, so I called Behr.

The Behr customer service guy told me they stopped producing it because of the EPA and now

they only sell acrylic.

What other product do you suggest? Name the brand if you can.

Thanks.

Dave

…there re no better product for generate an speed finish coat than the Glasurit 92357…

What is this product? Does it work with epoxy?

Where can I buy it?

…I dont know I only use on top of poly

but I think there s no problem with epoxy

check for a Glasurit retailer

I’m getting ready to gloss my #2 – I recently saw a video of Greg L spraying what looked to be a waterbased polycrylic (from Home Depot) straight onto the hotcoat.

Now I’m confused…

Quote:

No Acrylic on epoxy.

Smart and Final Supercrylic…like 11 bucks for a gallon…

Acrylic for polyester.

Urethane for epoxy.

H

Oneula, did you end up trying the Varathane spar urethane? How did it turn out? The fact that its an outdoor product makes me think it would hold up well.

Herb, would waterbased polyurethane work over paint?

E.g.

Epoxy hotcoat -> Liquitex with future -> Seal with waterbased polyurethane?

Hey guys, check out the UV clear thread. This product was specialy formulated for composites and Marine use unlike some of these other crossover prouducts and superstore off the shelf stuff. The catalyst is important to waterborne and waterbased coatings so that there is zero reactivity when it goes  in the water and then goes in a bag wet. The product is also packed with UV protection for your epoxy to stay white longer. 

I would like to know about waterbased Varthane spar urethane as well. I sent someone to the store and they came back with that instead of polyurthane.

Hey guys I have a question about the whole minwax polycrylic for polyester boards. I used it on two boards and let them both dry for 24hours and went to light hand sand them with wet 320 grit and the sealer started to chip and peel off both boards. I’m not sure if it was because of the boards being sanded to 220 before applying the sealer or something else. I saw a post on this thread that said it bonds to poly but apparently it didn’t in my case. Do you guys stop sanding at 120 or 180 so the sealer bonds of should I try something else?