Advise on surfboard build

Hi guys, my name is Leon Dekker and I am new to the forum! I am from South Africa and am 17 years old. 

I want to build a surfboard that is suitable to a wide variety of waves (a jack of all trades), a midlength board, around 7’6".  My construction method will preferably be chambered wood, since I want a eco friendly board, but finances are tight, so pine would be my preferred wood choice(I do know its not ideal).

So here goes my idea. I have a midlength board 7’6" in mind, 20" wide, double concave, single fin, rails going from 70/30 at middle, to hard at tail. Relaxed rocker, and planshape widepoint 6" in front of centre(I like drawn out turns).

The reason I chose chambered instead of hollow, is that I can only work weekends, and have no proper storage space for a fragile frame mid construction, and it looks a lot more complicated…

So here goes my caused-by-diy-mindset dilemma…

I want a funtional board, using my own template, of my own design. Except, I don’t want to/can’t use a computer to design my board. I need to do it by hand on a piece of paper, and then transfer it to a full scale template. I don’t want anything fancy, just a funtional design, and I know using pine and a hand drawn board is not going to get me the best results, but it will be good enough for a kook like me. 

Have any of you ever designed and built a board using the method above (not necessarily of wood)? What process did you go through?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long read!

Skip the pine and either use foam or save up for some more expensive lightweight wood. 

That board even fully chambered is gonna be heavy  

Here is a test - it will take about 15 2x4 to make a 22” wide board. If your able to get your chambered weight down by 50% you’d be at 7 2x4. Go to the lumber yard and pick up 7 8ft 2x4 and see what that feels like. Pile on some resin and glass now.

Will most likely end up not getting used and going to waste (not to eco friendly)  

just a thought  

If you have access to a PC, get yourself BoardCad. Its a free software. Install it and play with it, you will very soon realize how it works and the design your wanted board. BoardCad can print the necessary templates…

Do not go for a chambered board. It is a waste of wood and much more work than a hws. If you are short on money, get cheap plywood for the frame and use it for deck and bottom to, you can use pine for deck and bottom too, but you need thin planks, i would guess 6mm is sufficient. A manual,jigsaw is all you need…

A pine chambered board will be in the 14-20kg range, you will not go for that.

If you think you need, go for it, but if possible in any way, go for BoardCad and a HWS.

If you want something very cheap and easy, go for an Alaia…

Hi Leon - 

I’m gonna skip the material discussion.  It’s been pretty well covered already.  

On your ‘hand drawn’ design on paper - no problem.  You can use a simple scale of 1":1’.  In your case, the drawing will be 7 1/2" long.  So draw a line with a pencil and ruler.  Fold your paper lengthwise directly on that line.  Make reference marks on the line every 1/2" and figure your nose, wide point, and tail dimensions.  Example: if desired nose width = 15", find your spot on the line at the 1" position and mark 1 1/4" across.  If desired wide point is 21", measure across your wide point position (roughly at center) and mark it 1 3/4" across.  Just remember  1" on paper = 1’ at full size.  1/2" on paper = 6" at full size.  1/4" on paper = 3" at full size, Etc, Etc.

Draw a curved line freehand or use a flexible ruler to connect the dots.  Expect a few mishaps.  Once you get your curve on one side of the line, fold the paper on the crease and scrub hard on the outside to transfer your line to the opposite side.  You should now have something approximating your full outline.

Now you can take your scale dimensions and transfer them up to full size on a piece of masonite - just check your dimensions across at each mark you made earlier along your midline.  If you can find a sail batten or flexible fiberglass fishing rod blank or just a flexy piece of lumber, go ahead and connect the dots on the full size template.  Cut it out and start scrubbing with your mini-plane and sanding block until you are satisfied with your full sized curve.

This is still pretty much the way I do it.  Welcome to dinosaurland. 

That basically sums it up I guess… you just completely convinced me to go hws. Thanks alot for the reply, Leon.

Thanks, it makes the cost issue a non issue. How would I go about storing a hws frame? Should I just clamp it to my rocker jig, and keep it high n dry?

Thanks for the great reply,

Leon

Thanks! This is the way I have been doing it all along! Can I also use this method for hws?

Leon, 

Is Pine the only wood you have access to there at a reasonable price?  I was in the RSA 21 years ago, but was not into woodworking or building HWS’s then.

I’ve no experience with chambering.

I’ve been using Western Red Cedar for my HWS’s, but those that taught me their HWS build method had dabbled in Pine frames rails with marine plywood decks and hulls.  Just going from pine to cedar frames and rails reduced the weight significantly but they were still tanks. One frienf used African Mahogany ripped from an old set of doors some idiot tossed in the trash, instead of marine plywood for deck and hull but with pine rrame and rails,  and it is one of the most beautiful surfboards I’ve ever seen, and not all that much, if any heavier than a marine plywood board of the same size would have been.

WRC is mostly grown in the Pacific Northwest so I’d not expect it there, but perhaps you have another cedar somewhat similar  whose grain is relatively straight and light weight, as well as dimensionally stable.  My HWS’s  are basically built from 4 2x4s for deck hull and frame and a 1x12 for the rails,  with much wood left over. I get 5 planks from a 2x4( really 3.5 x 1 5/8") when ripped on a tablesaw with a 5/32" kerf blade.  I use 4 of 5 those planks for the hull or deck and need 6 on each side. 

I use very different method  from the single stringer multiple rib, or the rails first, method  employed by most others who make HWS.  Mine is more like 3 or 5 stringers dictating the rocker and foil, rather than just one, then many ribs dictating the width and deck dome and potentialy bottom contours.  My boards  don’t come out any lighter than the other methods, but I feel they come out more accurate and stronger/ more durable, but with no real proof other than they are are still rideable after lots of use.

Twisting is a big issue with HWS as the wood itself does not present equal stresses on both rails when bent to the rocker.  There are many different HWS build methods/techniques, and not being able to have a consistent levelled table for rocker, or to prevent twisting, is going to be a challenge for you.  The most important part is when laying on the deck panel(s) which locks in the ‘twist’.  If at this later build stage you have a perfectly level table to prevent twisting while the glue/epoxy dries, hopefully when you remove the weights and clamps it does not take on a bad twist.  

On can expend tremedous effort into preventing the twist, and still fail, or take few precautions and get lucky.  One can also just not measure for twist afterwards, as ignorance is indeed truly bliss, and many boards the world over are twisted with blissfully ignorant owners who might even consider them magic. 

Whatever method you choose, chambering or HWS, after each individual  stage you will likely be thinking how you would do it differently the next time.  I recommend writing down those thoughts when they occur and board number 2, will come out sooooo much better than board number one.

So look into Cedars available to you, and marine plywood.  My 6’11" x 22 x 3 double wing round pin is 15.5 Lbs or 7 Kilos. But people seem to assume it is a lightweight foam veneer when they see me ride it. It feels way heavier underarm, than under foot, and to semi Quote Dale Velzy,

‘There is nothing like the feel of wood in water’.

Do be conscious of the final weight while you build. Try and keep it down without allowing it to become too weak to impact from a knee/foot in the center of a chamber.  For a 7’6"  I’d really aim at keeping it under 8.5 kilos, but much depends on your weight and ability, and the waves you will ride it in.  With  Heavier boards one needs to plan their maneuvers a bit further in advance, read the wave a bit farther in its future. 

Thanks for the reply, I will definitely consider using cedar and marine ply… your idea of using 3-5 stringers is great! I will definitely be doing that!

Thanks,

Leon

Have you checked out Mike’s Magic carpet design on instructables? That’s 7’ 6" so might save you part of the challenge of the build.

Hi guys, thanks to all for the advice… I downloaded boardcad and am busy playing around. Just one question… How do you put bottom contours on a hws board?

Thanks,

Leon

Leon

You can leave hull planks thicker and shape in mild bottom contours, but over or undershaping remains a distinct possibility. 

A v off the tail is fairly easy to achieve

Flat is easiest to attempt.

The wood is going.to want do do all sorts of different things.  My method always tries to form a single concave with most at the rail apex.

A big issue with hws is nose rocker getting flattened out by hull planks pulling and deck planks pushing it down.  I glass the multiple stringers to mitigate this tendency.

When I finish making a template in boardcad, how do I create printable hws ribs and stringer templates?

Leon

BoardCAD V3.x has its own printable template routines for HWS under the File pulldown.  I am not near my PC to say exactly where.

Or save the board as a *.brd file and find an old copy of Jedail’s HBTM program for a little more control.

For both programs, the thickness of the wood pieces is an input before running the output.

Thanks alot for the great advice!

Leon

You are welcome! Screenshots from said programs below. The HBTM uses an older version of Java that will complain before it runs on Win10.

No matter how many ribs you designed, the board cad print feature, does not use them, but the jdail hws template maker does.

Regarding Bottom Contours:

You can adjust the ribs! Lets say you designed ribs each 15cm. First think, what the bottom contours should be, for example slight concave in the front and double concave vee in the back. Then delete some ribs, but leave the ribs with the maximum contours and the ribs between the sections. For example leave the rib in the middle of the board, because it is supposed to be flat and leave one rib each 30 cm away from front and back. you got only three ribs left. Go to the front rib and pull the most outside construction point on the bottom to -0,5 cm, this designs the front concave! Go to the back rib, take same point and bring it +0,5, resulting in a general vee, then take a point between center and rail and pull it to +1cm. Now you see the bottom blending into a concace between the center and the “vee” point. If you add the ribs in between back again, they automatically blend in the wanted contours. Try this and play around, you soon will realize how it works. To controll everything you just create the 3d model and watch it carefully.

then save and print the plans with the jdail program…

Thanks! Will definitely do that!

Leon

Hi guys! I played around on boardcad and came up with a design that I really like… 7’6" midlength board 21" wide 2.5" thick. 45 litres.

Please comment any advice on my design on the pictures below. This board should be a allrounder, for small beach breaks to the occasional hollower point break. I would prefer to use it as a single fin.

Bottom contours going from flat in tip of nose to belly to double concave at wide point to vee at tail.

Please tell me if you cant see the measurements! My pc just wont screeznshot today…

Thanks!