Another two-part travel board

Hey guys,

In regards to a two part board, has anyone tried a dove tail joint where the two pieces slide into each other?

I think you’d get a strong joint and way less movement than a butt joint. Of course there’d need to be a fixing somewhere to stop it sliding apart when riding.

If anyone likes this idea and wants to give this a try - feel free!

I think it would be fiendishly difficult to get right and tight, then you’d still need a long rod down the center to keep it stiff enough. Someone should try it though… I volunteer paul, he definitely has the skills.

One of the advantages of the butt joint is the each section of the board is the min length required.  Any other design and the point of the two-part baord is defeated to a certain extent.  That and [relative] ease of the build vs a more complex joint.

Howzit Greg, Yesterday I was prepping a counter top to take out and there were 4 of those holding the 45 degree corner cut together and pulled 3 of them out but couldn't get at the 4th one but as soon as we pop the counter I will take it out. Aloha,Kokua

Howzit Shwuz, I you look t the flat parts they look just like a fin screw plate like in a fin box so you could just buy 2 of them and a stainles steel bolt and you have a stainless steel clamp, Pretty simple actually. Aloha,Kokua

So these countertop clamps got me thinking… The design is obviously sound, with both Pope and countertop builders trusting the distributed clamping force generated by round anchors with a screw between… The machining for the clamp surfaces is VERY simple, just a couple of holes with a straight channel between. The weak point is that the available hardware is not stainless. That would be very easy to fix, however. Cut a couple of rings from a stainless pipe, drill a hole in one, tap a threaded hole in the other, and connect with a stainless bolt.

I’m going to try this.

Stay tuned…

Nicely done, you are well on your way. I'm interested in seeing the stiffeners/dowels and the mating cavity. Good Job!

sorry if i missed this somewhere in the posts, and i am a novice at building boards, but how are the 2 facing plates made and attached? 

thanks

ben

waaaaaw I am amazed… i think i need to build / buy one  coz my car is so damn small :smiley: