ANY INFO ON HIWAY 1 STATUS ?

Is there any update about when it will be drivable, from SLO to Carmel? I love that drive. I want to do it one last time. Soon.

I think it’s going to be closed for quite a while, Bill. Months. I believe they are still removing the Pfeiffer Bridge just south the Big Sur. You could drive almost to Big Sur then have to turn around and go back to Cambria I think. Mike

I heard that the bridge may take more than a year to fix…

From what I understand, it’s not just a repair. It’s a rebuild.

Yup. Total rebuild.

You can get to gorda from the 101 but I believe the area from gorda to just below Carmel is closed.

I heard we’ll be lucky if it’s open by next summer.

Gentlemen, thank you for the quick, and informative responses. Looks like I’ll have to drive the 101. Thanks again.

…Hi Bill, I decided to check for a clip about that road; I found a good one; pretty nice views of the Ocean. Could be good to do it in a motorcycle.
Could be good to know how people did before the Bridges and road construction; may be a desolated place? but could be good to see the canyons or river under the big bridges up inland where possible people moved by horse or walked etc

In a few years (I am waiting for another guy) I have a plan to road trip all America; go to Tierra del fuego (in front of Antarctica) and all the way to Alaska and return. With a normal motorcycle. I hope to do it.

Lots of good Surf if you know where to look. A couple of legendary spots that have been filmed but not named. Go explore.

Reverb You Might want to take look at a book I saw, but have not read Titled the Worlds richest Busboy. Part of the book tells of traveling central America on a motorcycle with a surfboard on a rack.

Sounds like an interesting read.

I can’t help reading this post in the voice of SNL’s the Californians.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/article151838417.html

A big mud slide took out a section of HWY 1 this past weekend. Doesn’t look good.

Very nice memories of my honeymoon on HW1 from SF to LA, we spent 1.5 weeks on that part.
Happy to have been there while it was still drivable, unbelievable scenery.

Just heard it on the radio news; Closed Indefinitely.

John, that is an impressive amount of earth, that slid down onto the road bed. And then continued on out into the ocean! Wow.

That guy with the switchback driveway is in a bad spot. At the bottom of a bowl and in between two active slides. I’d be sweating bullets. Time to load the wagons and hitch the hosses. Either bug out or get a giant sky hook. Yikes!

News is that highway repairs in the state of Calif. due to this past winter’s rains will hit the one billion$$$ mark. This figure was arrived at BEFORE the recent slide on Hwy 1 Big Sur area.

Don’t know if any of you know about it; but there is a dozer operator and his Caterpillar Tractor buried at the bottom of that large slide that occcurred in the 80’s. Thinking it was 82 or there about. He was grading the slide and it slid again all the way to the beach below. This is the main reason they have been slow to go to work on it. Unstable and unsafe for workers.

That coastline looks a lot like the Kaikoura coastline here in NZ. There’s a whole series of slips like that on that road (funnily enough it’s also called highway one). They were triggered by the 7.8 earthquake last November. They’re hoping to have that road open by Christmas. The coastline got pushed up over ten feet, and pushed sideways up to forty feet! I reckon a serious earthquake in California would look very similar. I’m always struck at how much Southern California looks like the east coast of NZ.

Howzit Lowel? That was in '83 during that massive El Nino. It was an epic winter. My folks were friends with the operator and his wife. She used to run the old Pier View Café` right at the pier in Cayucos. It was a real shocker when that happened. She has now passed as well. Good people. Good family. R.I.P.

Thanks for the background. I remember hearing about it on local radio and the reading of it in the “T-T”. Yes that was an Epic winter. Shortened up the Pismo Pier by a few hundred feet. I remember watching the end come loose from the rest of the Pier and collapse.