Anyone try Aerialite X?

Looks like they are introducing a new glass. Has innegra in it. Don’t know much else but hopefully I’ll check it out at Surf Expo.

Anybody use/try it yet?

http://aerialite.com/aerialite-x

saw Greg L , use it on a longboard at the last Expo. it was about 8 or 9 oz. cloth. way too thick for me. I think they have a 4 oz. as well

Specs say it ranges between 2-4.2 oz per yard:

http://aerialite.com/aerialite-x-technical-data

he had the thick stuff

I don’t know the current status but at one point SC Composites was selling a E-Glass/Innegra hybrid cloth in the 4oz weights.  I’d try it.    

Best for bagging, kind of heavy

so it is not multi axis (X)  cloth?  plain weave as it says.  if it glasses heavy, might be worth trying Dwight’s wetout table method.

I’d love to find some 4 oz multi axis X glass.  I can only find 6 oz.

We’ve been selling and using Aerialite X for about a year now and the Innegra fibers definitely improve the compression strength of the decks. Since the fibers run along the Weft (perpendicular to stringer) it does not change any flex pattern or buckle/break strength but does make the decks much stronger for heavy footed guys with no additional weight added.

One of our customers now uses 4 oz. Aerialite X on all his decks and lamming with tint or pigment gives a really cool look as the Innegra fibers do not take on the color too well.

photo Greenlight surfboards glassed with Aerialite X fiberglass_zps5p4xicd2.jpg

Hi Brian, 

I’m game to try the X on the decks of my two boards I’m working on now. What do you typically do on shortboard decks? 4 oz E under and 4x over?

Jamie

Hey Jamie

4 oz Aerialite X on the foam, 4 oz E or S-2 over top wrapping the rails. The Innegra fibers don’t like to be sanded so you have to cap them with regular glass.

Got it thanks. Just ordered some from you online so I’ll drop by tomorrow to pick up. Gonna try it on the deck of this Great Pumpkin.

Just lammed the deck of the Great Pumpkin with a layer of Aerialite X on the foam followed by a layer of 4oz S-Glass over the X and wrapping the rails. Couple of observations:

1. The X is tough to cut. But does cut clean.

2. It DOES NOT clear out when saturated. Only way to make it disappear is to use it on a white board. The orange board is a foam stain with a clear lam coat (RR Kwik Kick).

3. Need to babysit it especially around the bottom tuck as it doesn’t like to hug tight curves. I could see why guys say to vac-bag it.

4. Put the logo between the X and the S, so that should show through clear.

I’ll report back on the durability. Hoping it cuts back on deck dents. If so, it’s probably worth the hassle.

Jamie, I am very interested in your results.  Thanks for doing this experiment.

all the best

If you want to reduce dent for a given foam, you have to increase flexural stiffness of skin in all direction. Flexural skin stiffness come more or less equally from skin thickness and material stiffness. Material stiffness for composits it’s a combinaison of resin and reinforced fiber dépend of fiber axis and tensil/compression properties… Innegra isn’t stiff only had bulck (thickness) for less weight, and some dynamic properties. Not the best weight/effective ratio for dents, sandwich skin can be far better for this.

I wonder if I use SLOW epoxy hardner the weave might disappear?  Perhaps the KK setup too quickly?

EDIT:  I just bought some from Greenlight kind of by accident, but now I really want to try it out.

Won’t make any differance and will creat problems on the lap.

Listen to McDing. 

Won’t make any differance and will creat problems on the lap.

How about limiting this stuff to clear deck patches to the mid rail line?  Still too stiff?

I used Innegra 2oz cloth. It wraped the rails with some spray adhesive. I sprayed the rail lightly and used a soft squeegee to put it down. I put a loose layer of 4oz. S over it as well. I also used a slower curing resin and it was not clear. I vaccumed the laminate so it’s not air that makes it opaque. It does show on a white (not painted) blank. I think it looks cool. I have found that it does seem to help with heel dents even in a thin laminate. I was using it for lightness and ding resistence over EPS to prevent the water sucking problems. It seems to help compared to two glass layers. I have riden the board for quite a few sessions and the performance is good. The price of the Innegra is similar to 6oz. S glass so I feel like it is a step up in performance for a little extra cost. We’ll have to wait and see about the UV stability (it supposed to be better than Kevlar)

I like using it. I found it is a resin sponge though. Best to use a wetout table for minimum resin, then roll it up and out in the board, then trim to the outline. It really toughens the deck to denting and snapping. 

All the best