Bill Thrailkill, you owe me a new surfboard

these are smaller fins than I would have run in it as a single by about a couple inches in depth.

I should try these as a single and see how different it feels, but I fear I’d have to push it all the.

way back in the box to get the requisite over-rail surface area.

No worries afoaf! Thanks for the cool pic!

I took my 5’10" twin out again this weekend…

I caught 3 waves on Friday before the sun went down, and each one was perfect, glassy, and wide open. I was absolutely flying… or at least it felt that way. My 3rd wave was from the General’s house all the way to Fred Kiko’s white wave house which is nearly a football field in distance. I was putting so much into that wave, that I felt like puking when I kicked out and laid back down to paddle out… When I got out of the water, my neighbor, Pat, yelled down from his balcony, “David, you looked like you were twenty years old again… nice job out there, kid!” That made me feel like a million bucks.

Saturday, I surfed from 7am until 10:15am, and just couln’t surf anymore. I caught too many amazing lefts and rights. My turns made me feel like I was just all style, but I know it was just the board, doing all the work for me. I can’t really describe the feeling…

Saturday evening, I surfed again for about 3 hours and just killed it. I was just cranking the shit out of my bottom turns, and just flying back up the face and blowing the lip apart, and re-entereing the face, flying past the sections back up into the upper 3rd, cutting back, makeing sections into shallower water going top to bottom in seconds, just mind-blown at the performance aspects that this new fin setup has added to my “used-to-be-fish-template”. It is night and day (this template) ridden as a fish, quad, or twin.

I was too pooped to even paddle out on Sunday… my arms were noodles.

Thanks, Bill, for making me feel like 35 ain’t so old afterall!

I’m loving these testimonials. It’s fun sitting here and imagining the board banked over and the twinned tips holding in and all.

Hmm.

Afoaf,

If you, or any other attendees of the upcoming workshop in San Diego, would like to get an existing board routed for the twinfin setup, I’ll bring my equipment to do the routing. Probably be able to do two, or possibly three boards. The report of your experience has stirred quite a bit of interest in the setup.

I would be very interested in doing that. I am getting a single fin glassed this coming week and if you are willing I will bring it to the work shop so we can do that.

I’m thinking that someone else should get the opportunity to get the setup on one of their known boards.

That being said, if no one bites, I swear I will shape a board for the sole purpose of having you sink the boxes in to it!

Is Hermattan Beach where the hermaphrodites live?

I pulled up to a beach where a long board contest was going on a couple of years ago here in NZ. There was an enthusiastic young shaper there with some boards with a very similar fin set up to this. I think the fins might have been set a bit wider if I remember correctly. He was raving about them and there were some guys competing on them. At the time I just thought huh. Might have to have a go at it on my next long board.

Bill’s got a solid thing going here…the average person would think that the two fins only equate drag. But what’s really going on is increased lift and proximity of the fins accelerates the flow of water through that area.

Bob Krause and I did a whole multi fin deal that played on the priniciple of the vent (Greeks did vents). In one week we went from 1 thru 10…The similarity was that everyone thought “what a bunch of drag”…all those fins…but the water accelerated through the fins and the increased area created so much lift on our shortboards that we inverted the vee in the tail…scooped them up to the deckline to help stabilize the boards. They swooped like a seagull riding the apparent wind in front of a wave…and rode similar to a keel. The fence of fins had so much lift!

The double fin is different in many respects, but as I said, the design has definite merits…kudos to Bill for playing with it.

want to check under the hood, sailor?

Thanks, but no thanks.

You got the wrong site.

The Gay Sway’s is thru the San Francisco server or you can check the Sydney one too.

Hope that helps.

Got Mik?

How dare you lump the two together!?

That’s insulting to San Franciscans…

…hello DS, may you explain a bit more how this set up can produce lift?

you say for the proximity that can produce kind of Venturi effect…

regarding this set up I just have been thinking in all type of things except in generating lift (to really have sense of that in the water in a notorius way)

thanks

Birds of a feather fock together?

Just for the record, I don’t have anything against gays…the real flamers get to me a bit, but I loved “Priscilla Queen of the Desert”.

I blame the guy with the hermaphrodite comment for derailing this thread.

Bill, I think I found another board to route…if there’s no takers at the workshop, I’ll bring it.

…is this double fin thing perpertrated by the fin companies to boost soft sales??? Oh and my stupid earlier non spell check post meant birds of a feather FLOCK…duh

Afoaf,

Bring the board, and the intended fin/fins. 10 1/2 inch, or 8 1/2 inch boxes? Let me know.

Deadshaper,

Are you sure that bird comment wasn’t a Freudian slip?? It did seem to fit. Selling two fins per board is less than 3, 4, or 5 fins per board. So, no, there is not a fin sales conspiricy.